GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Daddy Nying <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:10:00 -0000
Folks, This email was sent to me by a very dear friend to cheer me up.
Enjoy.

If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100
people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it would
look something like the following:

There would be:
57 Asians
21 Europeans
14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south
8 Africans
52 would be female
48 would be male
70 would be non-white
30 would be white
30 would be Christian
89 would be heterosexual
11 would be homosexual
6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth and all 6 would be
from the United States.
80 would live in substandard housing
70 would be unable to read
50 would suffer from malnutrition
1 would be near death; 1 would be near birth
1 (yes, only 1) would have a college education
1 would own a computer
When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the   need
for acceptance, understanding and education becomes glaringly apparent.
The following is also something to ponder...
If you woke up this morning with more health than illness...you are more
blessed than the million who will not survive this week.
If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of
imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation ...you are
ahead of 500 million people in the world.
If you can attend a religious meeting without fear of harassment, arrest,
torture, or death...you are more blessed than three billion people in the
world.
If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof
overhead and a place to sleep...you are richer than 75% of this world.
If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish
someplace ... you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.
If your parents are still alive and still married ... you are very rare.
If you can read this message, you just received a double blessing in that
someone was thinking of you, and furthermore, you are more blessed than over
two billion people in the world who cannot read at all.
His name was Fleming, and he was a poor Scottish farmer. One day, while
trying to make a living for his family, he heard a cry for help coming
from a nearby bog. He dropped his tools and ran to the bog.  There, mired to
his waist in black muck, was a terrified boy, screaming and struggling to
free himself.  Farmer Fleming saved the lad from what could have been a slow
and terrifying death.  The next day, a fancy carriage pulled up to the
Scotsman's sparse surroundings. An elegantly dressed nobleman stepped out
and introduced himself as the father of the boy Farmer Fleming had saved.
"I want to repay you," said the nobleman. "You saved my son's life." "No, I
can't accept payment for what I did," the Scottish farmer replied, waving
off the offer.  At that moment, the farmer's own son came to the door of the
family hovel.  "Is that your son?" the nobleman asked.
"Yes," the farmer replied proudly.  "I'll make you a deal. Let me provide
him with the level of education my son will enjoy. If the lad is anything
like his father, he'll no doubt grow to be a man we both will be proud of."
And that he did.  Farmer Fleming's son attended the very best schools and in
time, he graduated from St. Mary's Hospital Medical School in London, and
went on to become known throughout the world as the noted Sir Alexander
Fleming, the discoverer of Penicillin.
>Years afterward, the same nobleman's son who was saved from the bog was
>stricken with pneumonia. What saved his life this time? Penicillin.  The
>name of the obleman? Lord Randolph Churchill.  His son's name? Sir Winston
>Churchill.

Someone once said:
What goes around comes around.
Work like you don't need the money.
Love like you've never been hurt.
Dance like nobody's watching.
Sing like nobody's listening.
Live like it's Heaven on Earth.
Pass this on, and brighten someone's day.

Nothing will happen if you do not decide to pass it along. The only thing
that will happen, if you DO pass it on, is that someone might smile because
of you.

Happy friendship week!?????.......

AND MORE (IT'S A BORING WEEKEND)

Dear all

Nike now lets you personalize your shoes by submitting a word or
phrase which they will stitch onto your shoes, under the swoosh. So Jonah
Peretti filled out the form and sent them $50 to stitch "SWEATSHOP"
onto his shoes.

  Here's the responses he got... let the fun and games with Nike
  begin...

  Subject: RE: Your NIKE iD order o16468000

  Your NIKE iD order was cancelled for one or more of the following
  reasons:

  1) Your Personal iD contains another party's trademark or other
  intellectual property

  2) Your Personal iD contains the name of an athlete or team we do not
  have the legal right to use

  3) Your Personal iD was left blank. Did you not want any
personalization?

  4) Your Personal iD contains profanity or inappropriate slang, and

  besides, your mother would slap us.

  If you wish to reorder your NIKE iD product with a new personalization

  please visit us again at www.nike <http://www.nike>. <
<http://www.nike.com/>> com

  < <http://www.nike.com/>> Thank you, NIKE iD