GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima chongan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:33:12 -0700
My Brother,
Many thanks for your brilliant exposee but I want to
add a few comments. There is no doubt that slavery and
colonialism is a sad part of African history but I
think our fundamental problem is that we have to
embrace a system of rule of law and good governance.
It is very cheap to say democracy is a western
concept, the reality is that it is working to a
certain degree and the developed nations of today had
also had a very dark history crusades, war, genocide
etc my argument is that we should learn from it bridge
the gap and move forward. We have to get a climate of
stability underpin by good governance and an
atmosphere of tolerance. In our present day world with
information technology everything is in the open. so
long as we africans don't value life and fundamental
rights the future is bleak. Hitler did construct a lot
of roads and monuments etc but his policy was
perverse, evil and deeply flawed. For us in Africa a
leader can kill, main, imprison etc and get away with
it so long as there are persive to be doing some
development projects. Yes he is working and developing
the country?? We have to respect life and proper
checks and balances with nobody above the law.
We don't have to be of the same persuation idealogy
wise but we have to and must share certain values of
fair play, rule of law and a level playing field with
the interest of nations at heart.
There is no curse we can revert the situation so long
as we share common civilised values.
This is my thoughts and wish you all the best.
Alpha Ebrima ismaila Chongan

http://vote.yahoo.com