GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 02:09:49 EST
Saiks,
      Fundamentally,you have the right to your opinion but do not make an
error to compare the American and African democracy.I am saying so because
you have mentioned that ''in the US people with political opinion different
from that of the Republicans and Democratic have also been victims of
injustices,illegally detained,arrested and even murdered,just like any any
other country,there are human rights abuses in the USA because of political
reason.''Can you mention any case in the US today where an individual was
victimized,murdered,jailed because he/she was an opposition to the parties
you mentioned?.If not Your statement is inaccurate.I will agree with you if
you say that there is racism in the US.
Let us not compare the incomparable simply because there is a problem in US
presidential elections.There is, yes but that has not interrupted any
business neither it has brought about anything to a stand still.
Yes the matter is in the courts means that both candidates have their
rights to challenge any thing they feel went wrong during the voting.That is
among the pillars of democracy.Since this problem started November 7th,let
me repeat again,there is no report of an arrest,fighting or even an insult.
I only hope dictators like Yahya Jammeh will not use this to ague their
electoral manipulations.
Thanks
Saihou