GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:40:14 EST
Ousman:
Due to the circumstances you described , I can understand your hatred for the
PPP regime.  In fact, I daresay that only a few of us have a positive
recollection of that regime.

Nevertheless, I am disappointed at the general nature of your post which is
full of innuendoes and weird statements.

You write:
<<A lot of us here keep saying that the "dictator" must go and sit on the side
line and will not do a damn thing about it, but just to shout on the L. We
could cry for democracy forever if we are not free in our own minds. Jawara
sat on our heads by denying us the simple education to better ourselves, and
here come Jammeh playing with the few we had. And here in cyber space, we
have some of us who failed to achieve any of our personal goals calling for
national goals.>>

The above statement gives the impression that only a chosen few have the
right to write about perceived injustices in The Gambia or anywhere for that
matter.  Any human being that has the ability to communicate should have a
fundamental right to express his or her feelings about any subject matter.
Otherwise, we will be unable to collectively impact change.

Furthermore, The Gambia-L has been a very important resource for the Gambian
community abroad and back home.  However, we have not been able to make this
resource what it is by keeping silent or refusing to talk about the causes we
most believe in.  We have done it collectively! It is therefore extremely
important that members of this newsgroup are also to express their feelings
about the APRC regime without being unnecessarily subjected to veiled threats
about how they have not achieved their personal goals.  Personal goal or
accomplishments have absolutely nothing to do with one's right or ability to
talk about issues.

You also say:
<<Why don't we all face the reality and know that the Jawara
days are gone, we are in the Jammeh era? And look for ways to make a better
future for our people as a nation and one Gambia.>>

The above statement implies that we should just accept the Jammeh regime and
seek for other ways to make a better future for our country.  The best way to
assure the citizens of our country the possibility of prosperity, freedom and
a safe future is to get rid of the regime that is ruining our once beautiful
country.  Or do you have a better idea of how to make a better Gambia with
the APRC regime in power?

You go on to say:
<<You know as much as I do that the Jammeh government is illegal, but we still
have the opposition taking salaries from him, sharing the same house of
chambers with him and blankly endorsing him. If they think the guy leads such
an illegal government, why be part of the House who passes bills? If they had
all listen to the calls some of us made to them NOT to contest for the
elections if they knew they were going to be reaped anyway? They failed to
yield to the reality thinking that they were going to fill the gap Jawara
left.>>

How do you expect the opposition to legally remove Jammeh from office without
being participants in the system that gives them the ability to contest
elections?  Ous, how do you expect that anything will change if the
opposition boycotts this upcoming election?  I simply do not understand the
point you try to make in the above paragraph.

Ous, correct me if I am wrong, but your whole post seems to be an angry
tirade directed at certain members of the L whom you seem to have issues
with. It also has the tone of the very negative and non-encouraging attitude
that I have sensed from certain members of our community since my earliest
days.  Fortunately, I hope the Gambia-L community never ever allows this type
of defeatist attitude to be an obstacle in the quest to achieve any of our
collective and individual dreams and goals.

It is extremely important that we lift ourselves out of this mental slumber
that assumes that only certain people are entitled to speak or talk about
their feelings.