GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 08:52:02 EST
If this gesture was done from the heart, and not another propanganda scheme,
then it clearly deserves commendation. However, the question still remains,
how many Gambian students and families find themselves in the same impossible
situation as miss Bah and her mother,  and  what is the reason for this
endless suffering? Mis-management  of state funds  that have  plagued  us for
years, as well as an inability by our governments  to manage the country in a
competent  enough way to bolster our  economy, so  that families can find
gainful employment to take care of their families  and  pay  for their
children's education. These  things are  not  supposed to be luxuries, but
essentials  of daily life.If  the President wants to do an even more
honourable gesture, perhaps he should give a sum that will take care of all
the needy students in the country,  or better yet, come up with a  plan that
will revamp our economy, and  set  our country  on the right path, both
politically and economically . Then,  everything  else will fall into place
as it should. The question though remains, is the President  independently
wealthy,   or is it the funds from the state  coffers that are  being used to
 demonstrate to the  Gambian people how generous he can be?

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 11/5/99 10:36:32 PM Central Standard Time,