GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 10:28:02 -0500
Sanusi,

Thanks for the welcome. I however disagree with your take that:

“APRC have destroyed the Gambia and it would need a miracle from God to
save us from their mismanagement.

Gassa can't fool us about the realities; we know what Jammeh has not
achieved in the last 9 years. Operation No Compromise sums up the APRC'S
inability to save the Gambia for economic misery”.

Sanusi, we all know that Jammeh did not destroy The Gambia. On the
contrary, he has done a lot to help it develop. Both you and I know that
Jammeh inherited a nearly collapsed economy, dilapidated infrastructure
and a people with amputated spirits, to borrow from al Paccinno. Worst
still, we inherited an education and healthcare system that, in most
cases, only catered for the urban few. We also know that prior to his
coming to power the entire productive sector of our economy had been
destroyed. I am sure the following rings a bell: LMB, Citro-products, the
Tannery, Seagull, GOMB/GPMB, GRT, PWD, ADB, GCDB, Banjul Shipyard etc,
etc. Or need I go on? I don’t think so.

As for Jammeh’s achievements over the years, they are there for all to
see. Three hospitals, a university, scores of schools, scores of rural
health centers, network of roads, higher employment, mechanized
agriculture, a national radio and television etc. Need I go on?

As for sister Jabou, she wrote:

“It is Ramadan and as such, I was going to just ignore Gassa. I think
Gassa's last hurrah tells it all and he should take it easy because he may
have to eat these words of his soon”.

No Jabou. Don’t bet much on that.

You also wrote:

“Our country is sinking and without the remittance to families by Gambians
abroad, things would be all over by now, but that is understood only by
those who understand how the World economy works. These guys do not tackle
things from an intelligent point of view so forget about expecting that
from them. Just read Yaya's speeches or the ones by Yankuba and Singhateh
and you can see how much trouble we are in with these people at the helm”.

Jabou, I have always argued that even though remittances from Diasporans
are welcome, the primary beneficiaries are the recipients of such
remittances.

Secondly, these remittances are only important to us in as much as they
can facilitate an exchange between what we produce here or have with what
we want and do not produce or have. Otherwise our Dalasi is more than good
enough for our survival. Remember hunter/gatherers do not need foreign
remittances to survive. If the worst comes to the worst, we would resort
to nature.

As for your assertion that those leading us cannot tackle things from an
intelligent point of view, my response is that they have achieved far
more, in nine years, than was achieved during the previous 30 years. What
do you think?

You also wrote:

“Gassa wrote that Gambia was 25th on a list of the 25 most unlivable
countries which unless the English language has changed, means that it is
the least livable of the 25 countries, but Gassa of course went on to tell
us that it means Gambia is the most livable on that list”.

Nope Jabou. You’ve got it very wrong! What I did was to refer you to the
link (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0778562.html). If you follow this
link you will find that we are only a whisker away from being de-
classified from that list of the most unlivable countries.

Finally you wrote:

“Being among the list of least livable countries is nothing to brag about
believe me. How about trying to get on the list of most livable countries”?

What is worth bragging about is the fact that being at the edge, it is
easier to get out of that miserable list than when are in the middle or a
t the beginning. We are getting there!

Have a good day, Gassa.

--
There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see,
yet small enough to solve (Mike Leavitt)