GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 12:02:45 EST
Elhadj,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
I always maintain that if each of us uses the formula of going with what is
right each time we are confronted with a situation, regardless of the
consequences, then our problems will be solved. This means that even if your
relatives are involved, one cannot afford to be silent if one sees wrongs
being committed. Our religion is very clear about this.
The Qur'an tells us that every human being is endowed with "Fitra tullah"
i.e, the knowledge that there is a being greater than oneself, what ever you
call him, whether you call him God, Allah or even just carve a peice of wood
and put it in a cave and worship it, the concept is that man is always
conscious of the fact that there is a something greater than he because this
is something God programmed into us when he created us..
Likewise, I believe, and i think that everyone can feel this, that programmed
into us is also the fact that every man knows the right and wrong of any
given situation, and it then only becomes a matter of choosing to do the
right thing in that situation, or closing one's eyes to the truth and going
with the wrong. This latter seems to be the modus operandi that a lot of our
officials adopt, and a good number of the people as well.

Compassion is something that comes from Allah, but Ebou jallow did
consciously choose to do what he did, and so he has to live with the
consequences, most especially because he had the chance many times to discuss
this issue and come clean, but instead, he has responded with unbelievable
arrogance each time, and this is amazing because if I was in his shoes, i
certainly would want to clear my name if such a thing was possible. But
again, this is his choice, so he will need a lot more than sympathy to get
out of this one I'm afraid.

Jabou Joh