GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
sidi sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:34:48 GMT
While we sit it out at the Conference Centre in the middle of Prague with
the police busy with the demonstrators outside the perimeteres of the site,
I thought of whiling away the time with this piece , which is an excerpt
from Trevor Manuel's Opening statement this morning.
There is a story that Vaclac Havel tells of this beautiful city (Prague),
long before he was president.  A stone window ledge had fallen from a
building and killed a woman.  A local writer commented that the public
outrage that ensured was too parochial and failed to recognise humanity's
enoumous progress.  The next week, when another window ledge fell, the
public wisely ignored the writer.  To quote Vaclav Havel, the people "had
understoood that the so-called prospects of mankind are nothing but an empty
platitude if they distract us from our particular worry about who might be
killed by a third window ledge..."

Window ledges in Prague in the 1960s may be another space from, say, a
health clinic in Mozambique that is washed away by the floods, but the
lessons are the same.  The lessons then, as now, is that unless we take
account of our reality and are prepared to do something about it, nothing
changes. End quote.

There are lessons in Trevor Manuel's statement for all of us and I hope hope
that the demonstartions currently going on outside the Conference Center
will leave the rest of the window ledges in this beautiful city in tack and,
of course, that there is no bloodshed as those opposed to the workings, and
indeed, the existense of the IMF and the World Bank, exercise their
constitutional right to free expression.

Hamjatta, I received your note and I could not agree more with the view that
the left is extremely organised which is being amply demonstrated literally
and figuratively in the streets of Prague as I write this note.

Sidi Sanneh
Prague