GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Jeng, Beran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 07:45:57 -0500
The Point </publishers.html?passed_name=The%20Point&passed_location=Banjul>
(Banjul)
November 1, 2000
Banjul
Lawyer Ousman Sillah has said that he does not subscribe to the Attorney
General's view that contacts between lawyers and Dumo Saho and co could
jeopardise the investigations on the case.
Speaking in an exclusive interview, lawyer Sillah said: "I have very strong
views about this, in fact they are diametrically opposed to what the AG is
saying: that treason is such a serious and anti social crime. I hold the view
that anybody accused of treason is entitled to his or her human rights by virtue
of Section 17.2 of the constitution. Buttressing the point, he added: "For me,
the view is so unlawyerly; it is not the language of a lawyer. Dumo and others
have been held incommunicado for months. We are now in a normal period, not in a
state of emergency."
A state of emergency, he noted, can be declared by the President; and even in
that case, anybody arrested is entitled, as of right, for his family to be
informed immediately and for him to have access to his family and lawyer.
According to lawyer Sillah, the matter is on appeal and for that being the case,
he would like to be professional, and let the court take its own course.
Please read the entire interview with lawyer Sillah in "Career And People" in
The Point on Friday.