GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dave Manneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:25:01 +0000
Dear all,
Sadly, of late attempts are being made (some covertly, i have to admit) to gag
the opponents of Jammeh regime on the distro. I personally do not have a
problem with anyone wanting to shut me up verbally or otherwise, but I am
finding it real hard to control my fury anytime i see the attempt to muzzle
by the use of words like unpatriotic. Why should one be labelled unpatriotic
just because he/she hate a murderous, thieving regime?

Are you people (the attempted gaggers ) really honest with yourselves, or are
you just morally and physically blinded by political immaturity (if i may
borrow some of your very own pathetic epithets)?

I have read people write as Jammeh has been mandated by the Gambian electorate,
the opponents of his regime on this distro should shut up and put up  (perhaps
not in the same colourful language, but the essence remains the same). I just
have a question for those people and it goes thus:- Are you for real??

Sure Jammeh has been mandated, but should that mean that one should not oppose
him or try to bring him to task for his and his government's actions? What kind
of democracy will that be then? Honestly, I think that argument and logic is a
total non-starter and as such should be flushed down the loo (for the maggots
might find better use for it there).

If Jammeh has been voted in by the majority of people (which for now and for
the sake of argument,I'll say he was), so does that mean that the fight for
justice for the martyred kids should cease?

Should that mean the fight for freedom of Dumo and the other incarcerated
brothers should be forgotten?

Should that mean that the spiralling (out of control) of the national debt
burden should be conveniently un-debated?

Should that mean that white elephant projects should not be called what they
are?

Should that mean that the daily looting of the national coffers should not be
reported?

Now you dare call people unpatriotic because they are not willing to close
their eyes to all these above mentioned national ailments plaguing our
nation??  Come off it people, that is the weakest argument on behalf of Jammeh
i have seen on this list in a long while!!

PATRIOTIC!, UNPATRIOTIC!!, do you guys even know the meaning of this word? How
insulting can anyone get by calling one's fellow citizen unpatriotic?? I know
this word has been used like a ping pong ball of late, especially in the US
after the 9-11 event, but please make sure you know the context of it's usage.
After all is said and done, what it comes down to is PERCEPTION.
From where i stand no one can be more UNPATRIOTIC than a person who wants to
see the fight for justice for the death of his/her brethren be swept under the
carpet, (so as to be seen that he or she is a PATRIOT), or one who wants to
conveniently forget that his brethren are still languishing in jail with one
trial after the other postponed, or someone who daily works his/her butt off
(come rain or snow) so as to be able to send the few pennies, pfennigs, dimes
etc to his folks back home in order for them to survive, and for that person
not to see Jammeh's regime for what it really is, a bunch of thieving murderers
or apologists. What twisted logic?

I am as patriotic a Gambian as anyone on this forum or anywhere else for that
matter (if not more, then surely not less), but you can be damn certain of one
thing, and that is I REFUSE TO BE MUZZLED by this pathetic unpatriotic tag.
What Utter Nonsense.

I do not need anything form Jammeh in order to advance my career, just like
99.99% of us on the list, so i  see no reason why i should just ignore his and
his government's wrongs just for the sake of it.

If the saying "Learn the future by looking at things past" is true then god hep
us, for the short history of this bunch is mayhem and murder.
How can any sensible person work with a regime that has single-handedly heaped
more devastation upon our country as this bunch did and continue to do unabated
daily, and have the freaking nerves to call those who see this government
for who they really are, UNPATRIOTIC?

I remain steadfast in my abhorring of Jammeh and his murderous thugs, and if
there is one thing am certain of it is that i sure will remain so, until there
is justice for the  murdered kids and Dumo and others are released and given
the opportunity to right the wrongs committed against them in a court of law.

Manneh