GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:12:45 EST
Hi all:
I do not think that Mr. Camara (list manager) should be vilified for trying
to maintain some semblance of order on this list.  He has done a very good
job to this point of managing this excellent resource.

That said, I can also relate with those who have expressed concern over a
double standard when it concerns abusive/deragatory language on this list.  I
am sure many of us recall an incident over a year ago when I expressed
outrage over certain list members calling our American brothers niggers.  Not
only was this behavior not censored by the management of the list at the
time, but I was attacked and called every name under the sun by people who I
saw as having personal issues with me as a person, where I came form as well
as my family background.  As a matter of fact, I was so outraged by this
laissez-faire attitude on the part of the list management, I temporarily
unsubscribed from the list.

With this in mind, I urge the list managers to be as judicious as possible
over censorship issues.  Let us extend this rule to all parties, and just not
to certain individuals.  Otherwise, the list management will be seen as
unfair.

Keep up the good job, Mr Camara.  I, for one, am fully behind you.

Cheers!