GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 12:10:41 -0700
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 07:37:08 -0700
From: Debra Williams <[log in to unmask]>
To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:@u.washington.edu;>
Subject: [AfricaMatters] Re: CHINA'S ARMS SALES TO AFRICA SOURCE OF CASH,
     INFLUENCE

----- Original Message -----
From: Freedom Now <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2000 3:07 AM
Subject: CHINA'S ARMS SALES TO AFRICA SOURCE OF CASH, INFLUENCE

> IN TODAY'S UPDATE
>
> * China's Arms Sales To Africa Source Of Cash, Influence
> * United States Restates Opposition To Sudan Bid At United Nations
> * Uganda Opposes Sudan's UN Security Council Bid, Minister Says

> CHINA'S ARMS SALES TO AFRICA SOURCE OF CASH, INFLUENCE
>
> By CHRISTOPHER BODEEN
> Associated Press Writer
>
> 10/07/2000
> Associated Press Newswires
> Copyright 2000. The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
>
> BEIJING (AP) - While China moves to shore up its influence with African
> governments, military relations are one area it
> need not worry about.
>
> As sub-Saharan Africa's top weapons supplier, China has sold jet
> fighters to politically tense Zimbabwe and supplied
> weapons of all types to countries intervening in Congo's civil war.
> Armed Chinese guards have been seen defending the
> building of a pipeline across Sudan against guerrillas fighting the
> Muslim government.
>
> "Chinese weapons are rubbish compared to Western arms, but the rifles
> work and China can compete on price," said Siemon Wezeman with the
> Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, which tracks arms
> sales. And, he added, the sales perhaps "are helping keep conflicts
> alive."
>
> Chinese leaders will host top officials from 44 African countries at a
> three-day Beijing forum opening Tuesday to boost China's standing on
> the continent. The United States, the European Union and Japan all
> stage such confabs, and China wants to wield similar influence while
> preventing defections to rival Taiwan.
>
> China's ties with African states date from the Cold War and military
> contacts have figured prominently from the start. Aid to newly
> independent African states attempted to prop up allies or fight proxy
> wars against ideological foes. To counter both Moscow and Washington,
> Beijing supported rebel movements in Angola and Namibia and sold arms
> to Sudan and Zimbabwe.
>
> These days, military ties are driven mostly by money and China's
> resolve to run a foreign policy defiantly independent of the West.
>
> Africa represents a small but important market for China's military.
> Stripped of its domestic business empire two years ago, the People's
> Liberation Army and related enterprises have seen overall arms exports
> decline sharply due to poor quality, bad service and outdated
> technology.
>
> "In terms of its military-to-military relationships, China has
> increased its visibility and activities in Africa," said Larry Wortzel,
> a former deputy U.S. military attache in Beijing and now at The
> Heritage Foundation in Washington.
>
> Cheap, simple, and readily available, Chinese weapons appeal to African
> militaries with tiny budgets and scant training or maintenance
> facilities. By 1998, China had 22 percent of the sub-Saharan African
> [...]
your reply.  Thank you.

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Dial 1-800-555-TELL, say "Phone Booth"
http://click.egroups.com/1/9532/14/_/192352/_/971102564/

To the extent possible, please keep postings concise. Our archives are at : http://www.egroups.com/group/us-afr-network .  To Post a message, send it to [log in to unmask] .  Tell others to subscribe by sending a blank message to [log in to unmask] .  To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: [log in to unmask]