GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:20:21 +0000
Mam Jay, I concur.  Our brothers and sisters are equal participants in the
prostitution business, but it is convenient to blame it on the Senegalese,
Nigerians, Bissau Guineans, Sierra Leoneans, etc.  Not too long ago the
police called themselves cleaning up prostitution by deporting "The
Foreigners" in the trade, leaving our brothers and sisters to monopolize.
Well, is prostitution not live and well in Gambia as I write?  We cannot as
a nation in distress continue to pretend to not notice our ailments because
of pride, sycophancy, or pure hypocrisy.  The fact is, this government has
no plans for tourism, just as it does not for Agriculture, Customs, economic
planning, trade and other aspects of daily life in that country.

You have good tourist and you have bad tourist.  Other countries attract the
good ones because they create conditions that will not attract pedophiles.
The reason why these pedophiles are flocking to our beaches is because it is
a haven for them.  The criminals in the NIA could spend their time framing
up innocent folks and torturing citizens, while pedophiles operate right
under their noses.  And they say they gather intelligence.  As long as we
have a government that does not value anything but lining their pockets,
these people are going to spread the word around and more of them will
descend on our shores to abuse our youth, with our help.  Yes, they have
their Gambian partners in this crime.

A government that looks in the best interest of its people will set up sting
operations and prosecute both the pedophiles and their Gambian helpers.
They will work with the authorities in the offender's countries and obtain
lists that will target the wrong doers and track them down, among many other
options.  If we don't have laws to cover this type of crime as some queried
in the article, then we create them, that is why we have a legislature.
However, not the handkerchief heads we have in that assembly though.  But,
Gambians say "The Boys Are Trying".  We accept anything and everything.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou