GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:09:53 +0100
Dearest Mo,

Your write-up cannot possibly be bettered. I must admit though, that I
stubbornly maintain an unchararteristic optimistic gait, perhaps purely for
self preservation.

I simply revel in the wisdom of your last paragraph: "Maybe NADD should get
a birth attendant; an outside candidate who may just help us all deliver the
country from the grasp of a dictator". This should not be a MAYBE.
NADD does not have the time nor the luxury to fall victim to a miasma of
unhealed open sores of past rivalries and conflict, and it might just be
shooting itself in the foot if a flag-bearer is to emerge from within the
ranks of its own executive committee. In supporting your position, I firmly
believe that NADD must choose a figure outside the current political
line-up, someone who has no open allegiance to any of its constituent
parties; an independent-minded and charismatic icon, able to exercise
authority in implemeting NADD's program for the interim five-year period
before gracefully retiring from overseeing a transtition into a democratic
and open political era. Hassan Musa Camara, doctors Lenrie Peters, or
Ebrahima Samba, and a handful of other respectables, seem all to be capable
of delivering the country from its present torpor.

Given the history of poltical organisation in Gambia, it would be almost
naive to think that an outfit like NADD should contest elections without
going through internal upheavals the likes of which we are witnessing. On
the other hand the very spirit of national healing and sacrifice that
brought the opposition under one umbrella in the first place, must continue
to be the rallying cry by which leaders must address the genuine concerns
and grievances of their constituencies, putting aside private sentiments
about disproportionate sacrifice, for the greater national good.

Cheers,
Momodou S Sidibeh

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい