GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Y Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2008 20:03:20 -0600
http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/pastor-in-army-net

We reproduce below the full text of the Pastor's letter, which was
addressed to the Chief of Defence Staff.

    quote:
    APPEAL FOR JUSTICE AGAINST UNLAWFUL ARREST AND DETENTION OF A
YEAR-OLD BOY: LAWRENCE DUBEM UZOEGBU.

    I, Gideon A. Adeoye, the senior pastor of ChristApostolicChurch in
The Gambia, wish to alert you on the above subject stated.

    On the early hours of October First I received a distress call
from one Liberian boy (Victor Dubem Uzoegbu's guardian) that the army
people in Bakau Barracks instructed him to report at the station with
the boy along with a friend of the boy's father (known as Pa -a
Gambian citizen). This was in connection with a visa processing case
between Dubem's father, a Nigerian, and some Nigerian boys.

    Without hesitation, Victor and Pa reported at the Barracks with
Dubem to answer the law enforcement agents. On their arrival Victor
alerted Pa who stood bail for Dubem's father - Emest Uzoegbu, who up
till now is at large, was immediately detained. Victor was instructed
to go home and bring additional clothes and socks for Dubem quickly.
In prompt obedience, Victor asserted he went for the items.

    Before Victor's arrival, Dubem had been taken away to an unknown
destination as submitted by Victor on the October 1 2008. Later MrPa
was released, and I invited him to know the where the innocent boy
was. To my amazement the man declined his knowledge of Dubem's
whereabouts. It is pathetic to know that none of the people concerned,
Victor, Pa, or "the Nigerian boys" could say who is taking care of the
one-year old boy. They all claim innocent. The parents were members of
the Church but are presently nowhere to be found while the family
members contacted in Nigeria showed no interest in the plight of the
innocent boy.

    As a concerned citizen of Africa and a minister of the Gospel of
justice, equity and righteousness, I hereby call your attention to
this inhuman development in a lawful society. And I plead your urgent
action to save the life of this toddler and should not pay for the sin
of his father. While awaiting your response to my appeal, I wish you,
the entire leadership and citizens of The Gambia and all dwellers of
the land a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year in advance.

Going by the letter the pastor addressed, authorities once
againexercised terror in silencing a decent voice.

But if some more of our societal or spiritual leaders were addressing
jammeh or all the other departments like he did, then they can for
sure arrest a lot but cannot finish our seeds.

Go for it pastor!
Only a fool will be quiet in such situations.

--
yj

There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is His messenger.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい