GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamadi Banna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:44:54 -0500
What we witness in most African countries today is a rapid de-valorization
of the peoples’ cultural norms since independence. The Ivoirian writer,
Ahmadou Kourouma, fittingly calls it the “bastardization of (Africa’s)
independence”. The aping of Western political systems and cultural practices
has left the average African virtually despondent and groping frustratingly
for cultural identification whenever the need arises.

The Conradian concept of Africa of indolent savages and baboons chasing each
other in impenetrable jungles and the negative image of the continent in
Western media is what may have prompted Toronto Mayor, Mel Lastman, to
consider Africans as cannibals.  According to the Toronto Star, Mayor
Lastman had said that he was “scared of going to Africa to lobby IOC members
and about picturing natives dancing around him while he stewed in a pot of
boiling water”.  When Alpha Diallo, the Guinean IOC official, protested to
the IOC about the Mayor’s racist remarks, Mr. Lastman told news reporters
that he didn’t care if his comments had contributed in Canada’s failure to
win the bid to host the next Olympic games.

Over 500 centuries of religious and colonial domination has created the
cultural conundrum in which African societies find themselves, presently.
Someone did point out that South East Asian countries such as Japan, the
Koreas and China have adapted Western technology while still holding on to
their cultural values.  They proudly practice their religions, speak their
languages, and eat their foods!  Yet, since the end of the Second World War
they have made considerable strides in development that has gained them a
respectable place in the arena of nations.

Most African governments have in fact helped in tarnishing the continent’s
image. They plunder their economies, shamelessly enrich themselves to the
detriment of their nations and then spend half of their time begging for
debt and debt relief from their more developed partners.  Hence, the poor
farmer will live and die in the leaking grass-hut just like his ancestors
did.  He can hardly feed himself throughout the year, much less upgrade his
grass-hut with more durable materials.

It is also quite common to see (especially educated) Africans speaking
English or French to one another or to their own children even if they are
fluent in their national languages.  It is no doubt in reaction to this
situation that the eminent Kenyan writer, Ngugi wa Thiong’o has decided to
write books only in his native Gikuyu language.  His first trial with the
acclaimed play, ‘I Will Marry When I want’, was a huge success.

As for African baptismal names, they will soon be history if the trend
continues.  We borrow names from our Middle-Eastern religions in the
misguided believe that they identify with our religious leanings and thus
get us closer to God.

It is encouraging to note that the Senegalese government has come up with a
plan to redress some of these cultural anomalies.  Effective September,
members of the parliament and other key government officials will reportedly
be required to be literate in one or more Senegalese languages.  The study
kits and other resources are being put in place.  Prior to this, Professors
Sakhir Thiam and Cheikh Anta Diop, to name only a few, had successfully
written math books in Wolof.

In my opinion, it is the duty of all Africans and that of their governments
to protect the positive components of their cultural and traditional
practices.  Ideally, we expect to live in a Senghorian “civilization of the
universal”, where every race can bring the corner stone on which our harmony
will be built.

Hamadi