GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:07:32 EST

Kabir,

Thanks for the clarification. I knew it was not something permanent  and I
should have checked the MOU to get the exact information. My  fault for being
too lazy since I do have a copy of the MOU. I don't think  any further
interpretation or clarification by the Executive is necessary  as that is pretty clear.
Again, thanks.
Jabou Joh

In a message dated 1/27/2006 1:14:31 A.M. Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I know that a while back,  another list member wrote to say that he though
> Halifa would be the  best choice and I seconded that motion but only
> because   of
> the fact that the situation has developed into one where the  contenders
> for
> flag bearer are the NADD executive as opposed  to someone unaffiliated with
> the
> coalition parties. Given  that situation, I would choose Halifa simply
> because
> he   has demonstrated ability, credibility and integrity over the years to
>  leave no  doubt in my mind that he would do what was required of him and
> will
> relinquish  power when the time arrived without any  sort of game playing
> in the
>  process.

Jabou,

What the relevant section of the MOU says  is:

9. Tenure of Office of Interim President under the  Alliance

A. The interim president of the republic under the  Alliance shall serve for
one five year term of office only. He/she shall  vacate his or her seat at
the end of his or her term and shall neither  seek nor support the
candidature of any other person for the ensuing  presidential election.

I have seen many, here and elsewhere,  interpret this to mean that the
interim president shall, after his/her  term in office adandon politics
altogether. My understanding/intepretation  is that it is only the race
taking place immediately after the interim  period that he/she is
disqualified from either running for the presidency  himself or supporting a
candidate bidding for the  presidency.

Thus according to this intepretation he/she may  return to the ring after a
successor has been duely elected. I guess the  reason for inserting this
clause is clear: since one of the main purposes  of NADD is to create a level
playing field, that he/she will not use  his/her incumbency to influence the
outcome of the ensuing  race.

I guess the executive or those versed in such matters can  clear the air as
many opinions of who should be flag bearer are hinged on  that  premise.

Regards,

Kabir.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
To  unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L
Web  interface

To  Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to:
http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?S1=gambia-l
To contact the  List Management, please send an e-mail  to: