GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:16:59 EST
Hi,
I have been reading your pieces with interest and they have brought back many
great memories of an unforgettable period in gambian soccer.  Unforunately, I
never got to see layers like Ndow Njie but he was supposedly a fabulous
player.   I was lucky enough to see Tony Joiner  a few times and he was quite
a fantastic dribbler in the mould of the great Joseph Koto of Senegal.  Thanx
for mentioning all the names, for it brought back memories of a fun time.

Now to a couple of observations.  Mr Jones, side seemed to consist of players
who played before the 1980 WC.  While I have no fault with the side he
picked, it is interesting to note that his selection was alligned in  the 4-
2 - 4, a long dead system.  But if memory serves me right, our squad did play
this system in 1980.
Mr Drammeh, your memory about all the interesting people  that worked and
played at Box Bar stadium is quite remarkable but your inclusion of Amadu
Adams in the squad baffles me.  While Mr Adams, was a precocious talent, he
played only a handful  of games for the squad and Real before he left the
country.  For this reason, I don't think he deserves a place in the team of
the century.  But, of course, this is just my biased opinion.

Finally, a few questions.  Who was the scorer of the disallowed goial against
Senegal in the finals of the 80 zone 2 tourney? Also, who was the Cape
Verdean referee at the game  whose name became synonymous with a swear word
in the gambian vocabulary for years to come?