GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 07:44:27 EST
M.B,
       there is nothing in this world that I value most than the well being
of my people. I am intimately familiar with the grinding hardship faced by
the average Gambian. The vast majority of our people who do backbreaking work
to feed their families and pay confiscatory taxes regardless of whether they
had an income are the primary victims of this regime. I want to help pry them
from this never-ending cycle of poverty and depravation. It is not going to
happen with a leadership that does not respect their lives, liberty and
economic well being. You may personally believe that people with demonstrable
track records of murder, terror and open subversion of the laws of our
country deserve support and cuddling but I categorically don't. You may also
believe that Gambians value and are better off with a regime that would
approach their monumental national needs with an insulting and cavalier
attitude of the citizens being made to look like beggars. I categorically
abhor that too. I will not settle for this cesspool of criminals you are
calling an elected government and that is a point we may have to agree to
disagree. I don't want my people to be involuntarily put on charity leash. I
want every Gambian to live a better life and fend for themselves within the
context of equal opportunity with their talents and efforts taking them to
wherever they wish to go. I am disgusted by a corrupt and devious President
who before he seized power could hardly afford an apple would now
condescendingly talk down on the very people from who he keeps stealing.
Yahya Jammeh has never earned anything he is shamelessly and constantly
parading as gifts and goodwill. You ought to be outraged by this kind of
behavior.A government that really cares about it's people focuses principally
in what is in their long term interests. The people are entitled to their
resources and are not beggars in their own country.
      I am posted on this list the very reasons our people continue to suffer
. We cannot get by in the Gambia without the help of development partners and
you know that too. You also know that partnerships with these outside
countries are premised on certain basic conducts of decency. Furthermore you
are certain that the government you support and urge others to support is a
murderous and tyrannical one who has ruthlessly killed atlas one person you
personally know(Dot Faal from Armitage). Somehow you keep implying that none
of these very grave issues matter to either the average Gambian or the people
and countries whose money we need. This is where you and I part ways. I don't
believe Yahya and his band of thugs either care or even want to help the
average citizen. They are only interested in maintaining their corrupt and
vicious  stranglehold on the Gambian people. All of the development partners
who justifiably shun him are doing what is right by their own people and by
extension the Gambian people too. They don't like mistreating people. you on
the other hand don't mind the evil ways of  Yahya Jammeh. That is the
difference.
Karamba