GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi M Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:40:48 +0000
Mr. Dampha,

As expressed earlier, the Gambian community is OK.  Speaking of the
sub-regional impact of the current madness, Niger and other neighbouring
countries have already started experiencing shortages of basic commodities
which originate from CI. The petroleum products used in The Gambia and
neighbouring countries are refined in CI so one should expect shortages if
the stand-off is prolonged.  Strategic stockpiling of the commodity to avoid
shortages is thus a viable option worth considering by The Gambia, although
they could import from Senegal.  Whether Senegal has the capacity to satisfy
Gambia's petroleum requirements together with its own and her traditional
customers, I am not in a position to say. The cocoa and coffee industry in
CI, on the other hand, is already impacted with prices in the international
market for cocoa reaching a 16-year high and expected to go higher. But how
can Ivoirian farmers benefit when they cannot get the commodity to market.
In fact, the rebels have vowed that there next offensive push will be
through the cocoa belt en route to Abidjan. We hope by then a diplomatic
solution would have been found to save not only Cote d'Ivoire but the entire
sub-region.

Sidi Sanneh