GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 18:35:44 +0000
Well Gassa as an opened minded person I like to give the benefit of the
doubt, eventhough in the past such rhetoric as you have echoed has been
made. I feel that it is about time we draw the line somewhere and engage in
positive criticism which will reflect our maturity as a people and a nation.
But then we can only achieve such with the good will participation  of
Jammeh and his compatriots, after all they are the ones calling the tune.
They hold the rope that wields the NIA and fundamental to any recocilliation
is the reconstitution of that nefarious institution, that is despised even
by the judiciary let alone the ordinary people. I hope this time round
Jammehs pronouncements will be translated into action. If this happens   and
democracy allowed to thrive, it can only bring good, but otherwise it will
only generate hatred and distrust amongst ourselves. I hope as you and
Jammeh make the clarion call for us to work together you also shall play
your part, after all this is not about making fanciful statements to impress
the international media it is about the lives of a people. such commitments
should not be undertaken lightly, because failure to execute what one
promise will only breed contempt and distrust. I hope this  is a new chapter
in which we shall all see the changes for real. I do not expect arbritrary
arrests and detentions, for I expect that instructions from hence, would be
to apply the rule of law. If anyone is suspected of commiting a crime he or
she should be charged and arraigned before a court of law, instead of being
hidden in dark dungeons, hence inviting speculations. In a genuine democracy
such form of treatment is unheard of and that is why the constitution have
stipulated tghe maximum period an alleged accused could be hold without
charge and since Jammeh has taken an oath to defend this constitution before
the eyes of the world he should not renege, for an oath is not a light
commitment. I hope those that detain people without charging them from now
on would realise that they would be flouting the constitution which is being
protected by Jammeh, the judiciary and the parliament and for them to ignore
all these institutions can lead them to being prosecuted. So I hope all law
enforcements will be more mindful now.

Some of us are not opposing Jammeh on any parochial issue but our love for
the country and our desire to see a free people as well as the realisation
of the fact that the issues we fight for are bigger than individuals. This
is the motivation that is why we cannot condone any form of human rights
violations, and am sure you Gassa would concede that Jammeh needs to improve
on human rights this fact was reiterated by not only the EU but also many
well respected international organisations. I hope he will depart from all
those administrative trivialities and consolidate himself by doing good for
all the Gambians instead of just rewarding his praise singers and punishing
the opposers, after all not all of us can be praise singers some of us were
born to live and die for the truth and I HOPE JAMMEH RECOGNISED THIS TRUISM.
A govenment needs opposition to reflect upon itself otherwise the danger of
self conceitment will take over. I hope Jammeh take note this time and
practice what he preaches otherwise they would only remain unfulfilled
sermons.