GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 15:53:02 GMT
Jabou,

You've written quite a long piece, but you've SAID very little. Much of what
you've said here is not in contention. But if you can tell the 150K
residents of Serrekunda East that you know more  than they do about what is
good for them, you're great Jabou. They've rejected Halifa three times in a
row despite the "great job" he's been doing. Remember, he's not doing that
"great" job in Tennessee, he's doing it in Serrekunda. So, if you would use
your common sense just a little bit, instead of engaging in petty hypocrisy,
maybe you'll realize that something is amiss somewhere.

I have never voted for Halifa or anyone else for that matter. But I did
convince two of my sisters and their husbands to vote for him in '87. I
campaigned for him in my own way in '92 as well. But I have a problem with
Halifa's attitude since the coup - in both the Korro Ceesay case, and the
'97 Constitution especially.

In Korro's case, Halifa and Co had set a threshold at the onset of their
investigation: locating an "eyewitness" to either the murder, or an
accident. According to Halifa's own version, they did not locate neither.
All they had were eyewitnesses who SAW Korro's car NEAR the bridge wall. And
eyewitnesses who saw a DENT on the car. From what he said, their three
reporters working the case did not even see the car themselves. They just
relied on what "eyewitnesses" told them, and with only that, they
erroneously concluded that Korro was killed in an accident! Everything that
has been revealed since, point to something else. Halifa is yet to have the
humility/magnanimity to print a retraction of that unfortunate story, or
better yet -apologize for causing the Ceesay family further pain at a time
when they least needed it. How is anyone sullying Halifa's name/image by
pointing this out? Tell me, Jabou. I'm waiting for him on the '97
Constitution.

The problem in Africa is not the Halifas, it's people like yourself who put
them on a pedestal and tell them they can do no wrong. You, in particular,
are always throwing something at Yaya Jammeh. Don't you realize that Yaya
Jammeh is out of control because his supporters are engaged in the same type
of sycophancy that you're engaged in here. What gives you the right to lob
insults at him then? Because you're unwilling to scrutinize the one you
adore (Halifa,) just like Yaya's supporters treat him. Where is your sense
of justice Jabou? And you are the one who wants true democracy? I thought
you were different, but you're just another hypocrite. You said ". . .the
cronies  of yet another generation of opportunists devise ever more
deceitful ways to pull the wool over our eyes." Great. Who are these
cronies? I've never had a relationship (blood/otherwise) with any Gambian
politician. Period. So, what makes me a crony? Tell me Jabou.

You're using the same tactic that Yaya Jammeh uses to dismiss his critics.
Why can't you get it in your head that some of us don't fall for superficial
gimmicks.

And to even think that you subscribe to Alpha Robinson's views. Read that
piece again, and see the crap he wrote about our intellectuals. Alpha has
since realized his mistake, and I hope you'll reconsider as well. There's
nothing wrong with cononizing Halifa. That's your prerogative. But, trying
to demonize those of us whose only crime is to look at every politician
critically, won't work here.

This is the Ramadan, and as a woman, I'm refraining from saying some things
now. But if you want to engage in taking cheap shots at Halifa's critics,
you've chosen the wrong people here. You can either follow the debate to
it's conclusion, or you can stop. Otherwise, be my guest and keep putting
out these ideas! I'm deliberately ignoring several things you've said, but I
dare you to continue this shameless charade. Just Make My Day, Jabou!

Saul.