GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2003 14:27:41 +0000
Aaah!  The chicken has come home to roost.  When one intends to enslave
another, the first things they impose on the enslaved is their religion and
culture.  The Arab world is just as racist as westerners, Latin Americans,
and Asians.  Folks, where ever you have Africans and non-Africans, you
always see the latter try to dominate the former.  And it is this ignorance
that has been fed to us as Africans to also believe in the superiority of
our lighter hew.  Iraq is not unique in this embarrassment.  If you go to
Cuba, Brazil, Mauritania, India, Australia, Egypt, Japan, Britain, US, and
any other real estate on this earth as we know it, you see the same
practice.  However, when one exercises their right to self determination as
Africans, you see their fellow African try to suppress them, using religion
and other inferiority complexes.  Why on earth would an African call our
religions Atheistic, Animistic, and other descriptions that those who wished
to enslave us coined for us?  Hinduism has many Gods, how come the rest of
the world do not brand it as atheistic or Animistic?  The Greeks that we
love to quote, have their many Gods, and how come they are also not called
atheists or animists, either?  But the rest of the world is comfortable to
belittle our religions and we Africans lead that charge.

Bringing it closer to home, I once heard a Gambian my skin tone made
reference to her Mulatto heritage.  I could not help but ask, if the
description of a Mulatto is one who has one parent African and the other a
non-African, then how is she a Mulatto?  All in her family are as dark as I.
  To some of us in Gambia, one is a Mulatto by your last name, you better
not try to strip them of that thought.  This is just an extension of the
inferiority complexes of the past, where folks change their last names to
European last names.  Thus, many that fit that category cannot tell you how
their parents got that name with their roots in Berending.  Our First names
are not spared either, mine included.  Are the rites that are performed in
our naming ceremonies African, Arabic, or European?  European and Arab first
names also dominate our landscape.  So, you see, subconsciously, we enslave
our minds.  Unless we break from that mental slavery, we shall forever aid
those that wish to subjugate us.