GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulaye Saine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 19:37:41 -0500
Dear Mr. Jawara:
I agree with most of your arguments regarding democracy and the need to
domesticate it while at the same time providing individuals/groups with
basic economic rights. I have made similar arguments myself.  Thus, We
do not seem to disagree on any important issues.

Your question is an important one, however. African intellectuals,
understandably, are divided in their perspectives on democracy.  This in
turn, has influenced in a significant way the debate over what kind(s)
or form(s) of democracy are most suited to post-colonial societies of
Africa.

Three schools of thought are readily discernible: (a)THE
UNIVERSALISTS(Jibrin Ibrahim and Peter Anyang' Nyongo)argue and regard
multipartyism as the pillar of democracy, based on the Western model of
individual political rights and liberties; (b) POPULAR DEMOCRATIC
PERSPECTIVE(Issa Shivji and Mahmood Mamdani) who object to the coupling
of democracy with multipartyism.  Shivji sees multipartyism as
supportive of a capitalist class and capitalism.  Thus, the rights under
liberal capitalism reinforce a class based system of rule, which is
intended to reproduce capitalist accumulation and class differentiation.
Thus, paying little attention to the economic/ social/group rights, you
alluded to in your posting; and then the (c)NATIVISTIC
PERSPECTIVE(Claude Ake(RIP) and Maxwell Owusu). Nativists argue that
rural socities and institutions like the "Bantaba," in Gambia, remain
the blueprint upon which to build participatory forms of democracy at
the nation-state level.  Yet a fringe but growing school is what D.A.
Masolo calls the "politics of realism." It recognizes the inevitability
of capitalism as the framework of economic development under western
hegemony.

In my view, these schools serve an important analytical purpose as they
overlap and converge on many key assumptions.  This is however, not to
over look fundamental differences between and amongst them. In my view,
however, these conceptual tools/schools have become rigid and have been
mistaken for "reality." It is the coupling of a collectivist social
vision and a politics of realism that appeals to me the most and appears
to be the growing sensibility in African intellectual discourse.

And because democracy is a process, multipartyism in Africa should, in
time evolve to include not only the protection of individual, but
social/collective/economic rights as well.  These ideas are not alien to
traditional African political systems.  In fact, elements of these
already exist in our societies. I have argued in support of collapsing
these conceptual walls as all are conceivable in a truly evolving
democracy. The insistence on multipartyism, free and fair elections is a
minimum goal toward a democracy that overtime should lead to the claims
made by the "popular democrats" and "nativists."  To some, this may be
seen as too optimistic.  It is, but my optimism is tempered, in that I
believe, democratic rights will have to be struggled and fought for.
Rights are not often given on a silver platter.

Cheers!
Abdoulaye Saine