GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
tester testers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:47:11 -0800
Halifa:  In your commentary, you've mentioned that I
was quite ambiguous to issues relating to REVOLUTION.
First and foremost, I intentionally refrained from
addressing issues pertaining to revolution in The
Gambia simply because, ...there was NONE!

Revolution I believe, is more complex than a mere
political ideology. A revolution simply means a
complete or drastic change of any kind. There are many
types of revolutions, ranging from a revolution in
fashions to a revolution in politics. Some involve a
change in habits, attitudes or beliefs, others involve
change in the way people make a living or a change in
the circumstance of life as a whole. Some of these
changes are made by mental exertion alone, others
involve war, devastation and killing.

Most people today when they hear the word revolution,
think of political revolution and conjure up visions
of
terror, bloodshed and change brought about by a few
with the use of force. Revolution, therefore,
means threat, fear and something inherently evil to
most people. Only a few use revolution to symbolize
hope, promise and a better life for all.

In short, the concept of revolution indicates that
complete and drastic change never comes easily. Yet
change is the essence of progress. Change is not only
unavoidable; change is necessary for survival; change
makes life worth living. If revolution implies
complete and drastic change, then revolutionaries are
people who try to bring about such changes.

Therefore, though I may qualify you as a
revolutionary,  I have sound resentments about your
political diplomacy. In your view, a revolution is
only made possible if driven by power.  Now, what
happens if such power is power to corrupt and not
power to build, power to subdue and not power to
advance, power to dwindle and not power to kindle,
power to suppress and not power to progress?  If the
former holds, then we'll probably be reliving the
"Dark Ages".  Enough said.

Unless we can eradicate amongst us, tribalism, racism,
and nepotism that's hampering our progress, and learn
to communicate, trust, and depend on one another, it
won't be long my friend, before the headlines read;
"Cry Banjul".  I have more comments to make in regard
to your article, and will do so impromptu.

Regards!

Essa Thomas

=== message truncated ===