GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dave Manneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 13:28:07 +0100
As it is evident that woe betides anyone who chides and calls Jammeh and his
gang what they really are according to Jaiteh's
philosophies, I thought an indepth explanation is in order here.  Am no rabble-
rouser, and as such it pained me greatly to see the hullabaloo
my usage of a word has caused on the GambiaL. I am not apologising for using
the word for i think it perfectly describes Jammeh's
whole outfit, so that's besides the point. Am I do not care who thinks that
it's wrong, for what's wrong is evident for anyone who cares to see, see.
It's rather unfortunate to see that people are threatening to delist themselves
or have already delisted due to my
choice of words, and the subsequent frustration and anger it since caused.

It seems that i've inadvertently rabble-roused here, but that's not by design
and am pretty capable of handling Jaiteh
and his intrinsic over-zealous mullah-like underhanded tactics all by myself. I
would not have given him the benefit of the feelings of self importance
and aggrandisement that this has effectively done, as it showed that he can
delist people willy-nilly cause he sees himself as whiter than white,
and pretends that where he comes from or lives people do not sometimes "lose
it". Jaiteh fulminates and that is the bottom line Lers, but i just
will make it clear to him that I do not need lessons in morality or what words
to use, from him or anyone else for that matter. I am more than a
quarter of a century old now, so i say thank you very much, but no thanx.

This is indeed a controversy and it's a controversy am responsible for, and I
won't shy away from it one bit, but the million dollar question is
how does that controversy inform the identity of the community and its members
or rather paint us as? Perhaps rightly and if one is honest all it
shows is that rather than condemning out of hand (as most might be inclined to
do), one should reason that infact the list has people as members
and not robots and as such tempers would be flared every now and then. We might
all come from the Gambia but we live in different communities
whereby a word which (though vulgar) may be  deemed "light" and inoffensive in
one community could have the opposite effect in another.
One example being that in the UK mates call each other "dickhead" all the time
and it is taken light-heartedly, (I will make it clear here though
that it wasn't the context i used it in, i meant that Jammeh and his bunch of
clowns are REALLY dickheads!), not withstanding I am saddened
by it's end result, an and result that really does not make any sense and is
also totally unnecessary.

I have done some thinking and reasoning and I have concluded (rightly or
wrongly) that there in fact might be hidden agendas and personal
vendettas carefully cloaked in over-zealous management of the list manifested
over the couple of days by Jaiteh, and this is all Jaiteh's
handy work!. The man is a dictator and a fulminator, why? because simply that
he decided to delist people without first seeking counsel
and agreement from his List mgt colleagues, this was evident in the email he
sent me. It was from him cc'ed to others. I have no problem
being delisted(BY THE WAY, WHETHER BY DESIGN OR DEFAULT AM RECEIVING EMAILS,
BUT DO NOT SEEM ABLE TO POST) but why did Mboge have to be delisted for
goodness' sake? I asked a rhetoric question and he answered in the affirmative,
so  if there's any wrong committed am the guilty party not Mboge, so to see
him delisted shocked me a little bit.

Jaiteh, perhaps you have a personal grudge against Mboge or whatever it is, but
for fairness sake the man has done nothing wrong.
When you send me the email complaining about unsuitability of "the word" cc'ed
to other people i decided to write back in two words
"i apologise". I didn't do that because i thought i was in the wrong or that
the word was improper in the context it was used, but because i just did not
want this to degenerate into something it shouldn't have, and my fears have
just been realised sadly. If you are morally white than white itself, i wonder
why you have to meet the murderer and his gang of thugs in New York for.

Its an open secret that you are comfortable and content with Jammeh's
mismanagement of our country, if there was any doubt about that in my mind, you
dissipated it when you shamelessly came here ranting that you attended Jammeh's
meeting in new York (where he dished out 20,000 much needed $'s to the New
York's Gambian suckers" community whilst some kids cannot pay for their exams)
and then your underhanded rhetoric that other so-called Jammeh-haters didn't
show up, but being the idiot that  you are you even failed to realise that by
going there and staying mute, you have just displayed your true colour. Unless
of course you had nothing to complain about and was not/is not moved by the
abject poverty, moral decadence and misrule that is the order of the day in our
dear nation, you have no problem in that shameless act.

Jaiteh there are means and ways of bypassing all your security/exclusion means
which could normally keep people delisted, but i can pledge to
you that i COULD post emails to the distro if that's what i wanted to whenever
i like  and there is absolutely nothing you CAN do about it. I have the
technical know-how, and the wherewithal, but i won't take that route due to
personal reasons,
1:-  that would be childish
2:- that is an illegal offence in the UK which carries a jail sentence, and I
won't be surprised one bit if i am to do that and you are to press charges.
3:- I have responsibilities in my profession which absolutely forbids me from
any such ventures as it's a cyber crime. I studied this science for
8yrs (from A' Levels, BSc, Post GradDip and MSc (nearly). This branch of
science and technology also happens to be the one i earn my
daily bread by(and am not boasting as i do not do egoism, but rather to prove a
point), so without the reasons stated above, it would be another story Jaiteh!
So just go home and like we would say in Mandinka, ee sisso fiiriin
JaitehKabba, for am not perturbed one bit!!