GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 21:35:35 EST
Ginny,

Sitting with your friends as you described, or even visiting with them during
the holidays, sharing goodwill with neighbours is really not what is
forbidden. I think that when they talk about participating in the celebations
of non-muslim holidays, what is meant is that muslims should not engage in
the rituals of putting up christmas trees, exchanging gifts among the family
members etc.Interacting with neighbours, treating them as you want them to
treat you is enjoined in Islam, regardless of their faith.
The Prophet (SAS) said that the angel Gibril used to admonish him about the
proper treatment of nwighbours so much so that he thought that when he died,
he should make his neighbours his heirs, instead of of his family.
It is also said that when he and his family were having hard times, his
neighbours who were Christians would give him milk and the ydrank this milk.
Personally, I think a bigger deal than what ti si worth is being placed on
this.
As muslims, we are supposed to celebrate those holidays that have some
connection to our deen, and celebrating the birthday of Jesus is not
something that even prophet Essa did, and the 25th of December used to be the
date that the Romans celebrated the birthday of one of their gods. It is said
that this day was chosen as a compromise to make Christianity more acceptable
for them since they were used to celebrating on this date. It actually has no
bearing on the life of Prophet Jesus. (hopefully, we will get to this
discussion in the series on Islam.) except as a way for Christians to honour
him.
The Prophet Muhammed did not celebrate his birthday, and so even that
celebration is not something that is recorded among his Sunnah.
As muslims, our holidays are the two EIDS, and that is what we actively
celebrate. Other people's holidays are theirs, and we can wish them goodwill
and interact with them as good neighbours, but we do not celebrate the
holidays within our families and household.

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 1/6/2002 4:23:30 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Hello, everyone.  I hate to seem stupid or anything.  But as a new Muslim,
> the debate of what to celebrate and what not to celebrate is very confusing
> to me.  While I do not want to seem disrespectufl or intolerant of my
> non-Muslim friends and family, I do not want to do anything that is going
> negate my faith and practice of Islam.
>      For example, this Christmas, my roommate's family came over to my
> house.  Since they are my friends as well, I sat with them and watched them
> unwrap their presents.  I wasn't gong to go hide in my room, that would
> have
> seemed extreme to me.  I also went over to my roommate's mom's house for
> New
> Year's Eve.  Maybe I should not have done that, but these are people I have
> known for years.  As long as I am not doing anything that contradicts the
> teachings of Islam, then I think it is OK.  Also, I think it gives them
> opportunities to ask any questions of me, and I think by me just being
> there
> it sets a good example of how Muslims can coexist.
>     If I would have totally cut off all relations with them on becoming
> Muslim, I think that that would have left a very bad impression of Islam on
> them.  By me continuing to have a friendship with them, I think it allows
> them to get a more balanced picture of Islam.
>     These are just some thoughts.  I hope I didn't offend anyone.  As a new
> Muslim, I still have a lot to learn, and maybe my approahces toward some
> things may not be correct.  But I am trying.
> Ginny

Regards,
Mrs Jabou N.Joh,
President/ceo,