GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bakary Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 00:20:23 +0000
Mr Jasseh-Conteh,
You stated that "I will accept the change because I believe that Jammeh has
changed for the interest of The Gambia."

I am really baffled by this statement of yours because President Jammeh is
yet to demonstrate to Gambians and to the wider world that he has changed in
the interest of the Gambia. Yahya Jammeh would only start to convince a
sober person that he has changed when he sets free people like Dumo and co
who are still in detention following their abduction by his regime.
Furthermore, Jammeh can only be pronounced a changed man if he owns up to
the crimes and misdeeds committed by his regime and thereafter institute
appropriate redress measure to the victims or their families. Moreover, he
must put an end to the Police State of affairs and respect the fundamental
human right of all Gambians to the extent that he (Jammeh) would not have
condone any individual's attempt to violate the fundamental rights of his
child, brother, sister or father.
The conditional amnesty  granted to Sir Dawda and the opportunistic
political shifts of support of a few personalities to the APRC certainly
does not qualify President Jammeh for the status of positively changed man.
What we demand and simply not request to substantiate that Yahya Jammeh has
changed, is that the Rule of Law becomes supreme in the Gambia over and
above the diktats, whims and caprices of an individual or group of
individuals regardless of their official status or claim to wealth or fame.
Finally, Yahya Jammeh will have to end his corrupt lifestyle and stop aiding
and abetting torturers, murderers and swindlers.

You further wrote that:
" If Jammeh refuses to change, then The Gambian people
will be disappointed.  The Gambian people will then
know that they have been told the opposite of the
truth."

So after all in this statement, you are alluding to the fact that Jammeh is
yet to change by contradicting your earlier quoted statement which expressed
your belief that Jammeh has changed in the interest of the Gambia. How do
you explain this clear-cut contradiction of your statements?  Please no more
gimmicks, we can disagree without fighting.

The yoke of oppression must be shattered!

BMK