GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Dr. Alhaji Jeng" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:23:51 -0000
Jabou,

Without claiming to be an authority on the land tenure system of our
country, I wish to make a small contibution to this issue at hand.

The land tenure (distribution / allocation) system in the Gambia is an
intricate and complex system.  Let's start with the easy ones. Land acquired
through purchase for private use (residence, private gardens & orchards etc)
is usually considered private property. This is common to find in the
Greater Banjul Area.

Land that has been in the custody of a clan for generations, being utilised
for various purposes, is usually considered to belong to that clan, although
this is not a written law. Therefore, as I understand the Brufut dispute,
Government cannot, without consultation with the traditional owners,
indiscriminately allocate the land. The people who have been using the land
for generations must have a say in the future itilisation of the land.

But in the Gambia many decisions are taken without regard for justice. And
this is one of the major reasons why farmers, for example are always
reluctant to develop or evn rehabilitate land.

Agroforestry is an agrricultural system / practice that can permit a piece
of land to be used over and over again for many years thereby reducing the
need fallow farming. It is very income generating and land corserving. But
farmers are afraid of investing in developing the land just to be taken away
from them tomorrow. The land tenure system has no provisions for the right
to retain land indefinitely.

One of Government's most important tasks therefore is to revisit this
archaic British land tenure system to suit the Gambia's current needs.

Alhaji