GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
latjor ndow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 07:22:05 PDT
While Dr. Jeng has provided us with information on the current posture on
the NAWEC issue thus:

>The Friday 23rd July edition of the Daily Observer refuted the transfer
>of NAWEC to the Ivorian company. Instead Gov't wishes to invest on a 100
>megawatt power supply system to be in place within the next 2 - 3 years
>time.

It is not clear what part of the previous publication the Friday 23rd July
of the Daily Observer was refuting. Perhaps Dr. Jeng can clarify further.
Meanwhile, I will indulge in mere speculation for now.

There are issues that need to be addressed. The Bassam (Ivorien company)
deal seemed to be a leasing arrangement similar to the one we had with Sogea
the French company which was terminated in 1995(MSG - Munge Soga Garaw).  If
this is the case, we seem to be taking one step forwards and ten backwards.

Bassam is involved in garbage collection in Abidjan and have no power or
water experience.  Why consider them in the first place?

All the same, if I was the decision-maker of Bassam and have a 15-year
contract to supply electricity and water, I would probably go shopping for a
reputable multinational doing business in this sector with the expertise and
know-how at its disposal. Companies such as Hydro Quebec!

Latjor