GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 21:24:39 -0400
I have not seen were the bar association request a meeting with the
solicitor general for an explanation. He owes them that; all the reasoning
I read deals with cases the judge presided over and rule against the state.
The Bar Association needs definitive answers from Raymond Sock if not the
Attorney General.
Thanks
Daddy Sang

GambianJudiciary Grinds to a

> Judge's Sacking Causes Lawyers' Court Boycott Gambian Judiciary Grinds to
> Halt
>

> The Independent (Banjul)
>
> July 29, 2002
> Posted to the web July 29, 2002
>
> Banjul
>
> The Gambian Judiciary has ground to a halt as lawyers from across the
> country begin their boycott of the courts in strong protest over last
week's
> sacking of Justice Hassan Jallow .
>
> The lawyers said beginning today (Monday) they will embark on a boycott of
> the courts that will last for three days to demand the withdrawal of the
> decision that saw Justice Jallow packing bag and baggage to leave the
office
> he was occupying as Supreme Court judge until Thursday. A letter to
Justice
> [...]
> directive is still not known.
>
> Although the government did not give any reasons behind Justice Jallow's
> sacking, speculation is however rife that it could as well be connected
with
> a number of recent rulings made against the state in some critical
> constitutional cases one of which was the case of the Indemnity Bill.
>
> Hassan Jallow was the sitting judge in those cases, whose outcome had not
> pleased the state.
>
> The Supreme Court in this case ruled in favour of the litigant Ousman
> Sabally who took his case to the Supreme Court when the government came up
> with the Indemnity Act, practically indemnifying all members of the
security
> forces or agents acting on behalf of the government from any criminal
> prosecution in the Gambian courts. Mr. Sabally accused the paramilitaries
of
> assault during the students' demonstration two years ago and protested the
> case in the courts.
>
> The Indemnity Act has a retroactive effect, which means that atrocities
> committed against innocent civilians even months before its enactment
could
> not be challenged in the courts. But Mr. Sabally convinced, that his
> fundamental human rights have been violated because of this Act went to
the
> Supreme Court to seek redress and the court ruled against the state on two
> occasions.
>
> And since Justice Jallow's sacking on Wednesday, speculation has been rife
> that it may be connected with this ruling.
>
> But the president of The Gambia Bar Association Sam George described
> Jallow's sacking as improper and unconstitutional. He said a few people
> would not be allowed to continuously tarnish the good image of The Gambia.
>
> 'The courts are the last beacon of hope for ordinary Gambians and
therefore
> everything should be done to preserve the independence of the judiciary'
he
> posited.
>
> This is not the first time, however that a judge is being unceremoniously
> sacked without explanation. A few years ago, Justice Robin Coker was also
> fired in similar fashion, without the state bothering to give explanation,
> opening the floodgates for a tide of speculations.
>
> After his firing a number junior and senior magistrates also got the sack
in
> too humiliating a manner without much noise from the Bar. But according to
> George this time around, they would not let Jallow's sacking go
> unchallenged.
>
> He called for an unconditional withdrawal of the sacking order and the
> government's unreserved apology to Justice Jallow.
>
> 'This has to stand or else we are ready for the worst. The independence of
> the judiciary has to be observed and respected' he posited.

Web interface