GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"EssaHBSCode241." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:06:28 -0800
Laye wrote....

".......I think that we should also be  asking YOUSSOU NDOUR to cancel his  3 day tour in Banjul  or better yet lead a campagne against the event so  that we MOURN the death of Deyda Hydara.  It is amazing that GAMTEL is actually sponsoring this event....." TRUE!

Here we have a Youssou Ndour who in a couple of months ago 'internationalised' his blatantly refusal to come to the USA and stage a show.He said that, the latter  Iraq war was unjustified! Youssou also said  he dislikes wars,right? Well who likes them? Wars are disliked because our fellow human beings are left to rot under rubble, that has been scattered by bombs and the like.Wars kill!

Now was there a war in Banjul when Deyda died? Yes. This war is called conflict of interests. Deyda was interested in saying the facts while it is fatal to do so in today's Gambia. Now how about him Youssou refusing to stage a show where a journalist has been murdered just at his back yard? Or maybe stage a show and then give part of  the gains to the late Deyda's family? Am I a dreamer here? It is likely, because never would those who stage this show for making profits give it out for the sake of justice and sincerity.!

Never! because the remnants of today's Shylock,who are within our midst, are always ready to chew a pauper's flesh (when he steals after staying for days without food). None! would be ready to allow that pauper help himself with the unwanted fruits in their thorny orchards.

There are similarities and some 'crude' miscarriage of social justice at the same time, in Youssou's approaches here. Youssou's refusal to stage a show in the USA after the Iraq war was sent on air like wild flames! Was it  political,religious,opportunistic or principle-centered? Not economically a sacrifice on his side  anyway (why? I will explain that part right away).Youssou did not lose when he missed that trip to the USA because! he had a series of concerts lined up for him in Paris,England and the like.There he expected more fame because of the current division that exists between the two socities on this war.Who are the voters for Chirac and co? Those who go to Bercy-Paris and then watch Youssou play! If he came to the USA he might have as well made 'some' too but Youssou was after what makes artists like him survive and that is, nothing but fame. Fame can either be gained by being excessively evil,just,principled,fearless and so on.Tedd Bundy was famous as a serial killer
 right in the US,Isn't it? So was Mandela as a man who sacrificed his life to promote a genuine struggle against social injustice. No one would choose to be the former  because he was/is evil. No one can also say that Tedd was not famous either.

Was Idi Amin famous? Yes he was! but he was famous for having been a poltical vampire! Therefore one's fame can either help destroy or mould minds. Where does Youssou stand here? I would say he shuns dancing near Deyda's grave if he would  not want to be seen as a " M'ballah mosquitoe"

A Senegalese artist like Youssou would indeed be famous for having gone against the US gvt's policy on the war in Iraq. Famous? Yes. Genuine? Well not if and when we see him dance near Deyda's grave. I cannot imagine anyone saying so anyway. The same Youssou was around when Wade was being "medalled"  in Newyork?!!! Where does Youssou stand here?

One soul is equal to billion souls if and when killed out of evil machinations,greed,hatred,power or anything so bad!  Youssou has not convinced me,because he rejects the killing of Iraqis and then is ready to dance near Deyda's grave! Is he or was he against the Iraq war to make a name or to stand against something he perceived as wrong or what?

Chew on this fans!

Essa Bokarr Sey.