GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saikou Samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:31:24 +0100
First to Modou Camara,I have my doubts if these words could be changed to
mean anything positive.However when ever they are used,they do refer to a
social behaviour that is not in acordance with the norms of a given
enviroment(Society);that is to say either one does not have or show respect
in saying certain things or in doing certain things,like talking to an elder
etc.This again has to do with the fact that during these ceremonies,one is
expected to learn to behave in a social relationship that is in accordance
with the norms of that society,in short learn to be responsible,among other
things.Some of these are positive and this is why the women movement is
encouraging the ceremony but discouraging the most dangerous part of the the
whole practice.But in the near future,as our society developes,I dont think
we will need all these institutions to advance a better human relationship.
To mr Jaata,I am very worried about your conclutions,this is a very
important aspect of our society.No society can ever developed without
solving some of these fundamental contradictions in human relationship.The
fact that you did not see this to be a very important part of the
development of our society shows that our knowledge about the consequences
of this practice is limited.Your conclution that this practice is a culture
that never be changed does not hold any water,simply because of the fact
that our human society would continue to developed and wether we like it or
not some of these things will have to go.Why ?becuase if you have read the
many postings here you will find out that there are some sisters here who
have undergone this operation and they are telling you and I and every body
that their children will never be a victim of this practice,then how can you
say that this is our culture that can never change.Did you see how you are
now spelling your family name"Jaata"instead of "Jatta",is this not new to
many ?Is it that you have discovered that this is the right way to spell it
?Just wondering !

for freedom
saiks