GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2010 18:31:38 -0500
Haruna,
             Consider for a minute, if all the things Halifa have
mentioned that we should have done at Independence did materalized, how
would we picture the Gambian political situation today] Rene.

            Haruna, when I made the above remarks I had in mind the
following from Halifa:

           "The whole truth is that 1965 was just one more phase in the
struggle to attain the right to self determination and Independence. It
was the decisive phase precisely because the era for colonial
domination had passed and it was left to our own national will and
resolution to determine our own pace for the   attainment of our right
to self determination and Independence. The   external personality of
the country had been redefined. Gambia was seen as an Independent
Nation everywhere around the globe. Our leaders had the duty to
Construct the instruments, institutions, administrative and Managerial
practices to ensure that the internal personality of the country did
conform to the external personality of Nationhood, especially when it
came to our membership of the OAU. This was the task of Nation
building.

   This task had six fundamental features, that is, Juridical, civil,
political, social, economic and cultural. It was necessary for the
political leaders, irrespective of party affiliation, to expose the
defects of the 1965 constitution and its inadequacies as the Juridical
instrument of a sovereign Nation and Sovereign people who were expected
to have attained the right to self determination."

     How would we evolved politically today, if our political leaders
notwithstanding the loyalty to their parties and interest, came
together to denounce the independence constitution as a monarchial
construct, and instead demanded to build the six fundamental features
that Halifa  calls the country's 'internal personality?.

    This was the thrust of the argument I wanted to make in that remark.
After your notes, I will move to my other remarks.

    Rene