GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:01:55 +0100
Ngorr,

Sorry for coming up late on this issue. I wish to make certain things clear
here first; Moja-G did not participate in any elections or election campaign
and has never done so as a political movement. The opposition of Moja-G to the
PPP is not an old habit thing, it is political, and this could and will not
ever bring the Movement close to the APRC.
Certain people who identify themselves as Moja-G militants did critic the UDP
for being a cover up for the PPP and I am among them.
Another clarification ,Moja-G was not an Urban political movement, the nature
of our clandestine work would not have allow us to be an Urban based movement,
Infact the Majority, in terms of numbers of Moja-G membership, could never be
found in the Urban areas in the late 80s and 90s,true,we did relocate
militants to the villages, those in the Urban areas were more involved in open
political work as Youth activist, trade Union activist, student activist etc.
After saying that, I will get you my position as one of those who critic the
UDP.My position to the UDP alliance is still the same and this has never meant
that it was an indirect support for the APRC.I never supported the APRC, not
out of any hatred but out of principles and I see no reason why my opposition
to the UDP alliance should mean a support for the APRC.
The question was never Jawara as an invidual, but the PPP as a political
party. It was OJ who told the Gambian people that it was the PPP that
sponsored the first election campaign of the UDP, some of us who blindly
supported the UDP without knowing what was going on behind the scene were very
disappointed ,I will never consciously contribute to the return of PPP to
political power.
      That Jawara is in the process of making love with Jammeh and the APRC
will not change this position, even if the whole of PPP moved to the APRC this
position will be the same. I don't believed that the issue in hand has to do
with Jawara going to bed with the APRC but he returning back home after years
of exile,if I have it right.
Every Political party must have its own principles, way of going ahead with
its political work, campainge, etc. I am not a member of the PDOIS, but their
position in this case is not that new to me. I could very well remember having
been face with similar problems under the PPP regime, PDOIS decided to contest
the election. PDOIS publish then a leaflet denouncing the registration of
voter as unfair, with details of how this was done. They did not only
participate in the elections but produced another leaflet saying that the
elections were free and fair, they never boycotted the elections. So it seems
that PDOIS have been consistent with the way they have been dealing with some
of these problems that are not new to Gambians and the Gambian Political
political scene. PDOIS did tell us one can go to the poles and then contest
the results in court if one is not satisfy with the way things have been
handled, they gave us an example in two constituencies which resulted in
byelections, if one disagrees with their position, to be fair to them, this is
what one have to Challenge.
I am neither a supporter of the NRP and I have never supported them. I am of
the opinion that there is lot of inconsistence in this Party. I don't know the
reasons they paraded to contest the elections, but to be very frank, wherther
the Party contest or not is of little interest to me, I will never vote them
in office.
 What will be the position of Moja-G had it been that the Movement is in the
position of contesting the election will be very difficult for me to say, even
if I should try it will be only speculations, the reason been that Moja-is not
a party it is a movement and how it will take seriously elections campaign at
this stage of her development will be very much dictated by what they desire
to achieve in the election, it will be more of a tactical question, it will
take many years before Moja-G becomes any significant political force in the
country.

For Freedom
Saiks