GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 06:21:45 -0500
Comrades:

Who would have thought that Baba Jobe would be sitting in prison today?  Who would have
have thought that the mighty Baba who intimidated, tortured, and harassed Gambians would
be sentenced to a lengthy prison term?  Who would have thought that Mr. APRC would be
disowned by a tyrant government that continues to be indifferent.

 I am crying today!  I am sick today!  I looked around and I cannot find Baba.  I cry because even
though I disagreed with Baba, I condemn the injustice done to him.  I cry because a frontal attach
on Baba serves as an element of torture against every Gambian.  I am sick today because I
believe in democracy, rule of law and the right of every Gambian.

The dictatorship in the Gambia has failed the Gambian people.  I advocate that we forget our differences
and embrace the few positives that unite us.  The issue is that if we continue to have a yaha Gambia, our
rights will certainly be compromised.  I am sleeping in the same bed with Baba today.  I cannot endorse
the injustice done to him.

If you assess the trend of the yahya dictatorship, you will conclude that he makes friends, uses and
discards them.  Take a look at what happened to Sabally.  Oh what a coincidence!  Was Sabally not sentenced
to 9 years?  Is Sabally not out now?  So Baba in, Sabally out.  What a disgrace that one individual has the
ultimate power to deny Gambians their basic rights!

I advocate that we unite.  I advocate that we seek the truth.  I affirm that we look at things collectively.  I
believe that yahya has compromised and tribalized the Gambia.  I categorically state that, should we
fail to unite, we will be contributing to a yahya distruction.

We must unite and defeat the APRC in the upcoming bi-election in Jarra West.  We must idealize the pain that
Baba is going through.  We must win this seat.  Though it seems illogical and unconventional, we must join
forces with Baba's supporters in Jarra West.  I would rather sleep with a former enemy who has been
marginalized than enable a tyrant who continues to deny us our rights.

As we get closer to the presidential election, we must swallow the inevitable and join forces even with those
who were part of the APRC dictatorship.  We should welcome any dissolutioned APRC supporter who wants
to join ranks with us.  We cannot afford to lose those who are disenfranchise wth the APRC indifference.

Naphiyo,
Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh