GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ABDOUKARIM SANNEH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:18:39 +0000
Do the Government ever makes proper Environmental Impact Assessment is mining in a marginal coast line in Sanyang and its impact to the water ecology. The Government need to come up strategic environment assessment to define programme, planning and policies are in line the sustainable development agenda. The managemnt of Gambia's Coast line ecosystem was an important agenda from the National Environmental Action Plan and giving a license to such a project requires Environmental Impact Assessment to quantify and qualify any data for mitigation. It is a sorry moment when a corporate was given license without biodiversity survey to mine our beautiful landscape, destroy the visual landscape and intrinsic value yet our Our Government cannot account what and what dig from the ground. Folks is this not another Madness?
                              HOME / COMMENTARY            .ExternalClass .EC_emailPrintLinks a  {color:#002D6F;}  .ExternalClass .EC_emailPrintLinks a:hover  {color:#002D6F;}                         Email this to a friend             Print this article
                Why Gambia Govt closes Carnegie Minerals?           Yankuba Jambang, editor & publisher , SenegambiaNews.com   Published 02/16/2008 - 5:45 p.m. GMT

          Rate This Article:      2

Slide Show

Carnegie's operations suspended in The Gambia   ABOUT THE AUTHOR

          Yankuba Jambang, editor & publisher        Website:
www.senegambianews.com        Email:

    .ExternalClass #EC_shareLinksTitle  {background-color:#294F98;color:#FFFFFF;padding:8px 10px 8px 0px;font-size:11px;font-weight:bold;}  .ExternalClass #EC_shareLinksTitle a  {color:#FFFFFF;}  .ExternalClass #EC_shareLinksTitle a:hover  {color:#FFFFFF;}  .ExternalClass #EC_shareLinksBox  {background-color:#F2F4FF;width:220px;}  .ExternalClass #EC_shareLinksText  {color:#666666;}  .ExternalClass #EC_shareLinksText a  {color:#666666;}  .ExternalClass #EC_shareLinksText a:hover  {color:#666666;}              Share This Article
               Digg     Google     del.icio.us     Yahoo     Reddit     Facebook

As Gambians are yet to fully understand the circumstances surrounding the closure of Carnegie Minerals (Gambia) Ltd, an Australian-owned company mining Zircon, Silicon and Ilmenite from the coast line, Senegambianews.com is investigating the matter for our readers and we will report on the matter as soon as our investigations are concluded.

However, according to the government mouthpiece, the Daily Observer Newspaper quoting the foreign minister Crispin Grey-Jonson, "Carnegie Minerals had taken advantage of the fact that The Gambia is a country without the laboratories to test what they were taking out of The Gambia to deliberately deceive the authorities."

"We gave them a license to mine for Zircon, Silicon and Ilmenite", Grey-Johnson added. But according to Grey-Johnson, "They [Carnegie Minerals] sent out huge quantities of mined metric tons of sand to Australia and onward to China. When we sent samples of the sand for laboratory tests abroad, the results came back showing that in addition to mining Zircon, Silicon and Ilmenite, the company was also exporting Titanium, Iron Ore and Uranium".

Although we have no words from Carnegie,the British Commissioner, Phill Simkinson is concerned about the fate of the company's managing director, who is a Briton.

Gambian authorities however, assured the High Commissioner that the director will be well looked after.

Not much unlike the President's HIV/AIDS 'cure', Gambia government is not willing to share the laboratory results [with Diplomats] that indicate Carnegie was also mining and exporting Titanium, Iron Ore and Uranium to Australia and China.

With government's recent anti-Western posture, especially the recent attacks on Britain through editorials of the Daily Observer and President Jammeh's comments on British colonial rule in The Gambia, the motives for closing Carnegie can't be taken at face value - further investigations are needed.

            .ExternalClass .EC_emailPrintLinks a  {color:#002D6F;}  .ExternalClass .EC_emailPrintLinks a:hover  {color:#002D6F;}                         Email this to a friend             Print this article

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい