GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 20:29:53 +0000
Culled From The Point

Civil ServantsTwo Re-instated Another Fired

Following the sacking of six officers at the customs department last Tuesday
two of the officers have been reinstated while another officer was also
sacked, competent sources told The Point. The two, Alieu Ceesay Principal
Collector Administration and Seedy Kinteh of the Mobile Brigade were said to
have resumed work yesterday.

Our source added that no reason was given to the two officers regarding
their abrupt dismissal and subsequent reinstatement. When this reporter
contacted the two for confirmation Mr. Alieu Ceesay said, “Well I am in my
office at present and I don’t want to comment on my dismissal or
reinstatement.” Mr Kinteh was said to be at work but away at the time. In
the latest of the sacking spree at customs, Pa Matarr E. Touray has been
fired on Wednesday. He corroborated the story when contacted, adding that he
received his letter at four O’ clock that day. He noted that no reason had
been advanced.

However, senior customs officers who spoke to The Point welcomed the move of
reinstatements and further called on the authorities to rescind their
decision on the other officers who they said were wrongfully dismissed.