GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 12:01:57 -0400
Well, as promised, I will endeavor to educate Jobe a little about the Taiwan
Millions. By his silence, I think it is safe to assume that the Central
Bankers could not show us where and how the money was recorded. This is
going to be one hell of an investigation when everything is said and done
and Yaya is booted out. I wonder what Central Bank official will take the
fall for Yaya in this matter. What Finance Minister is going to allow
(during his watch) for these millions to be recorded as a loan to the
Gambian people? Remember, if this loan is recorded as a loan for the Gambian
people to be repaid from taxpayers' funds, then Yaya has no right to use the
funds to open Personal Swiss Bank accounts and dish out money to some of his
cronies/parasites. If Yaya wants to regard the money as his personal funds
(from 'Allah's Bank'), then he is on his own. He needs to deal with the
Taiwanese. One of the first things the new government should get to the
bottom of, is the recordation of these moneys. Yaya and his gang of thieves
are in between a rock and a hard place on this one.

Despite that Jobe did not come back, I will still go ahead and address some
of his issues. To support his contention that the Taiwan Millions came to
Gambia through the proper channels, he asked whether a government will give
away such colossal amounts of moneys to an individual. Well, under normal
circumstances, no government will do that. But here we were dealing with a
bunch of criminals that Taiwan wanted to use. Taiwan knew that countries
like the United States had already imposed sanctions on our illegal
government. Obviously Taiwan would not (at that stage) want to publicize to
the whole world what it was doing with our criminals. In any case, what
civilized countries do or do not do under these circumstances have nothing
to do with what actually happened in this case.

I will tell Jobe what happened and again ask him to verify the matter with
his friends if he has doubts. A good source for verification would be Bala
Jahumpa. Although I learnt that when the AFPRC went to Taiwan to negotiate
this loan, Bala Jahumpa was locked up in his hotel room for two days,
unconscious from a drug over-doze, nevertheless, there were days he was
sober enough to know what was going on. Needless to say, I was not in Taiwan
and did not know first hand what went on. But the person that told me what
happened heard it first hand from someone that was Taiwan with Bala. When I
first heard about this story in late 1994, early 1995, I was tempted to
discard it as propaganda from AFPRC haters. I probed for more details and
sought corroboration. At the end of the day, I was convinced that millions
of dollars (in cash) were transported from Taiwan via Europe to Gambia. The
corroboration I talked about earlier on was found in Europe. There are
delicate matters surrounding that trip that I do not want to get to at this
stage.

When the need arises, I have no doubt in my mind that we will be able to
prove that the millions of dollars were transported straight to Yaya at the
State House and Yaya slept in the same room that night where the money was
kept. The vermin was hugging the money as if it is his. One way or the
other, Yaya will account for these moneys. You can take this to the bank.
KB