GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:02:43 +0000
Karamba and Bakary, thank you both for your response and as usual it was
done with maturity.  I will attempt to respond to some of your points, so
please excuse my flip flop.  Karamba, I have no doubt that the UDP
leadership thought through their reasons to boycott and the UDP supporters
paid heed to their call.  I am also glad to know that the boycott is the
beginning of the struggle to come.  However, in light of the fact that the
UDP did not participate in the elections, which the international observers
gave a clean bill of health, how can the UDP take this government on with
the current understanding of the international community?  Now that APRC has
full control of all aspects of our government, what would be the basis on
which any party out side of parliament would take them on?  At this time,
any attempt to take them on in the next five years might be seen at best as
interference in a "legal" government's operations by the international
community.  As I stated earlier, those that did business with the APRC are
still doing business with them.  Even the British and the French are still
waltzing with Jammeh and the APRC.  Our neighbors recognize the APRC and
Jammeh.  Please help me understand how this could be done without alienating
our friends in the international community.  How can we convince the
international community to change sides when they already anointed to
results of the both the presidential and parliamentary elections?

Bakary, I do not think it is irresponsible to take your supporters, a good
33% of the voters to the streets and demand justice.  Wade, the fellow in
Peru, and a whole host of opposition parties around the world with more
repressive histories did it.  It is this rationale that kept the APRC
government in Gambia.  When the students were massacred it was the same
mentality why we still do not have justice for them, yet still the APRC is
still trying to prosecute Darbo and company for the frame up that occurred
up-country.  When Wade said never again and Joof realized that this time
it's not business as usual, substantiated with the people showing the law
enforcers that any attempts to be brutal will be met with the same force or
worse, justice was achieved.  When the opposition in Peru boycotted the
elections, they conducted civil disobedience in the months before, during
and after the elections. Jammeh has not been tested and as long as he senses
fear in us, he is going to continue with his ways.  He started by killing
the soldiers around him and we said it was a soldiers problem.  He
progressed to civilians in his cabinet, and we come up with other excuses.
He killed the kids and Barrow, we blamed the kids.  He came to power barely
making ends meet and now he has more resources that the state, any
resemblance to Mobutu?  Well, how did Mobutu leave?  You stated, "Joe, If
you truly believe that this is just an excuse, why don't you try to go and
spearhead a demonstration against Jammeh in Banjul. I bet you will be very
fortunate to see daylight again. As president Jammeh would say " you will go
six feet deep".  As long as we think like this, we shall continue to succumb
to the misrule of Jammeh and the APRC.  If I was leader of any party that
strongly believed that the fix is on, I will do it.  You seem to
underestimate the power of the masses.  If Gambians really want Jammeh out,
he and his henchmen would not last a day no matter what stunts they pull.
When the kids were mowed down, had Gambians rose up we would have had a
different system of government today.  So, we have a choice, continue to be
afraid and fear what a thousand men could do to half a million or say its
enough and fill the streets and take the bull by its horns.  Show me any
tyrant that handed power without the people rising up.  The problem is, with
the missed opportunities listed above, how can the UDP take on this regime
now that they are not in parliament?  What would be the basis upon which a
civil disobedience can be justified?  Should Jammeh sign up for loans and
divert it as usual to his personal accounts, what could the UDP do aside
from going to the observer, point, or independent news outlets to vent thier
frustrations like all else?  Most nations or organizations that deal with
Jammeh are not interested in fighting corruption or human rights but their
vested interest.  Did'nt the british conduct Joint Military excercises or
train the same military thugs after the students were killed?

I agree with both of you that had all the opposition parties joined the
boycott preceded or followed up with civil disobedience until justice is
seen to be done, we would not be in our current situation.  When PDOIS
fought against Bishop Johnson's sacking the other parties were silent.  When
UDP was boycotting, the other parties contested.  Why this gap?  When we
pleaded for a United Opposition we found ourselves with a limited coalition.
  We on the outside have pleaded to all the opposition parties months before
the presidential and parliamentary elections to form a united front to bring
down the APRC but our call was not heeded.  Why is it that we have very
intelligent and capable leaders like Ousainou, Halifa and Sedia, Hamat, and
Sheriff and they never could share the same podium all throughout the reign
of Yaya?  Now we have Sedia, Hamat, and Halifa trying to stop the
unstoppable - 44 rubberstamps in one.  When are the opposition parties going
to realize the power in numbers and work out a winning plan for the benefit
of Gambia, not UDP, PDOIS, or NRP supporters?  It is this great divide that
greatly contributed to our current predicament in my opinion.  I hope the
next generation of political leaders would learn from this mistake.  The net
effect is a loss for Gambians and it would continue to be unless we see the
value in a united opposition.  I look forward to your feedback and I
appreciate your inputs.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou