GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Francis Glynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 21:47:36 -0000
It's good to have this reminder,

I do a lot of reading from the list and have observed that there is a
tendancy to paint The Gambia as a place that no one would want to visit
because of the politics there.

That is not the feedback that I get from GTS members who visit - of course
they don't go for the politics they go because The Gambia is a beautiful
country with a rich cultural heritage and a manificent diversity of tribal
traditions and the unfailing warmth and friendship of the people.  More and
more of our members now go out into the local community and gain experiences
of West Africa that they never dreamed of and will never forget.

I know the list's contributors love their country passionately and so feel
they have the right to say what they like about it & of course they do - but
what they say puts some visitors off, so if this is what's intended then the
list is being successful.

I live in the hope that one day those same people may feel that they can
trumpet all the virtues of their country irrespective of their political
feelings about it.

Francis
GTS UK