GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kebba Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:03:26 -0000
Babanding,

You wrote:

"Without doubt it's been the most difficult Hajj in recent memory for
Gambian pilgrims. It all started when Yaya wanted to gain some political
points by controlling the business of Hajj. He started by imposing a fixed
tariff of D24000 for the hajj package. This evidently cannot cover the
overheads of responsible travel agents who want to provide safe, secure, and
comfortable hajj for their clients; hence Banjul travel withdrew from this
years Hajj, and advised their clients to choose any other agent of their own
liking."

Again you wrote:

"With all the problems mentioned above, the plight of pilgrims who signed up
with Pa Njie's globe is even more tragic. It is alleged that Pa njie paid
Yaya's millennium company a cheque that could not be honoured by the banks.
Furious at this audacity, it is again alleged that Yaya gave instructions to
the effect that " even if they all have to die there, Pa must pay his
company before his pilgrims are airlifted out of Jeddah". I can't verify the
truth or otherwise of either claim."

To tell you the truth I am totally baffled by the above 2 excerpts I quoted
from your posting concerning the problems being faced by our stranded
pilgrims in Saudi Arabia. On the one hand you are telling us that Yahya
Jammeh imposed an unreasonable hajj fee of D24,000.00 which Banjul travel
agency considered insufficient to cover their expenses and withdrew advising
their clients to seek other alternatives. And on the other hand you are
telling us that pilgrims who chose to travel with Pa Njie's Globe travel are
in this mess because "It is alleged that Pa njie paid Yaya's millennium
company a cheque that could not be honoured by the banks."

In my opinion, the fact that Pa Njie's Globe travel accepted this
unreasonable condition and promised to transport its clients to perform the
Hajj and bring back then, they should be held SQUARELY RESPONSIBLE.
Moreover, if the above allegation against globe travel agency is true, then
this is a very callous and criminal act. Why should they issue a cheque that
will not be honoured? Banjul travel agency having known that they could not
operate a Hajj flight for their own fellow Gambians for the unreasonable
amount of D24,000.00 gracefully withdrew with their INTEGRITY STILL INTACT.
Why did Globe travel agency mislead its clients? This is DECEIT; PLAIN and
SIMPLE and to suggest anything else is adding salt to injury. This is a very
tragic case that should not be politicised.

Best wishes, KB Jobe.

if you have problems accessing the web interface and remember to write your
full name and e-mail address.

"There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see,
yet small enough to solve"

                  (MIKE LEAVITT)