GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Samba Boye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 08:34:01 +0000
We can only say "Finally!"...to the Gambia Bar association. They have at
last realised their role as guardians of the rule of law. It is about time
that the Gambian Bar manifest to the Government of the day that they cannot
go about interfering with the Judiciary at their pleasure. The sacking of
Justice Jallow is a shame and the Attorney General should be ashamed of
himself. He is supposed to be a lawyer and the provisions of the
Constitution are clear even to the lay man.But the Attorney General is so
engrossed in self preservation that he would not say a word of sensible
advise to Jammeh in case he looses his job too. This is just a shame to the
Gambian legal system.
Justice jallow is a man of intergrity, a man of justice. If the Govenment of
the day did not want any ruling against the Indemnity Bill, (the handiwork
of the Attorney General), they should never have drafted such an
unconstitutional and obnoxious bill. They cannot blame JUSTICE JALLOW for
doing justice.The Attorney General should have seen  that the Bill is bad.
This is not the first time a judge is sacked in the Gambia, but thank God
this is the first time that the Bar is seen to be doing something about it.
Whilst the present Attorney General was President of the Bar, memebers of
the Judiciary were sacked willy nilly. He would not do anything or even say
anything against it. Atleast with him being finally appointed as AG we now
know where his interest lay.
When he left he handed the Presidency over to Bola Carol, virtually on a
silver platter and he too would not do anything to displease him as AG. The
dismissals continued and Bola would not bulge.
It is now clear that with a man like Sam George with his experience at the
Bar, the Bar finally has a true leader who will ensure that the Bar does
rise to the expectations of the Gambian people.
I do hope that there will also be solidarity at the Bar and support for Sam
George to see these protests through because a lot of the lawyers at the bar
are also well known for self above national interest and the rule of law.

Sams.

sams