GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 01:08:41 GMT
Gambia-L:

I want to say thank you to the List Members who have been enquiring about my
well-being.

Well, I am happy to report that all is well with me, and that I am looking
forward to recommencing my contributions to Gambia-L.

For all of you who have been wondering what has happened to me during the
last seven weeks, I can report that I have been busy putting together a
Research Proposal for a higher degree, and have just had confirmation of my
registration on the programme. I am now trying to adjust to life as a
full-time research student again.

I should like to thank Dr Abdoulie Saine for his encouragement and support,
and my UK sponsors who have committed themselves to paying my University
fees, including field trips.

My research interest is Third World Politics, with an emphasis on
Democratisation under the Military in The Gambia in particluar, and Africa
in general, and so if Yahya Jammeh thinks that he is now free from my
comments and criticisms, I have to inform him that I am still around, and
still fighting for freedom and the restoration of human rights in my
homeland.  I shall endeavour to contribute regularly to Gambia-L, and shall
ask my sources in The Gambia to recommence their private postings to me so
that I can pass these on to the List.

In fact, I should like to thank my sources for their patience – they have
continued to send me information and comment, but I have not had the free
time to post these messages (which have now been overtaken by events) on to
a wider audience.  Anyway, I am now in the position to be forwarding
messages from my sources in The Gambia to the List members.

Ndey Jobarteh: how’s your son?  I hope he does not cry at night to disturb
you and Saiks! My warmest regards to Brothers Kabir, Saiks, Omar Drammeh and
the rest of the Gambian crew in Norway.

Jabou Joh and Isatou Njie – your Brother is well, apart from being harassed
by the unending rainfall in the UK!  Sister Jabou, please extend my warmest
greetings to your kids.

Kebba Dampha – I have just seen your last piece on the situation in Cote
d’Ivoire and it was well thought out. I enjoyed reading it. Keep up the good
work!

Sheikh Tijan Nyang – thanks for the information you are forwarding to the
List; we appreciate your kind gestures.

Can anyone on the L help to put me into contact with a Dr Lamin Mbye, who
did his PhD in History at Birmingham University (?? in the seventies). One
of Dr Mbye's former Professors at Birmingham would like to get in touch (or
re-establish contacts) with him. Dr Mbye is possibly working in the USA,
according to the Professor.

Greetings to everyone on the List.

Ebrima Ceesay
Birmingham UK