GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:57:32 -0700
Ms. Darbo,

You're totally right about the UDP top echelon makeup,
and what and why I asked the question concerning the
NY meeting. I was waiting for Karamba, or one of the
organizers to give people feedback before commenting
on the meeting.

The blame is rightfully that of the organizers of the
NY meeting. The UDP people apparently asked
SPECIFICALLY what the MEDIUM of communication was to
be. They were told that it's a 100% Gambian gathering,
and that our Local languages will do. I know for a
fact that some of those organizers are on this List,
but for whatever reasons, have decided not to clarify
this issue. I don't think it's right to stand by and
let some innocent person get blamed for something
that's not his fault. That's behavior that's simply
un-cool. So, the shame is on the NY UDP meeting
organizers.

First, having met, spoken to, and listened to the UDP
delegation, I'm a lot more at peace than I was when I
went to that meeting. I am really impressed by the
quality of leadership they have. All the three
Executive Members were very articulate, and their
resolve to see the back of Yaya Jammeh is obvious.
Both Mr. Peters and Mr. Manneh are a lot sharper than
they look. I find Mr. Peter's sense of humor, and Mr.
Manneh's dedication to the struggle very endearing.
Mr. Darbo himself is so cool-headed that it's really
re-assuring. There's something paternalistic about the
man -maybe it's his small stature. Even after I lashed
them for all the small mistakes they keep making
(sorry to be so blunt,) he kept his cool. But more
importantly, when he responded to my question and
issues, he wasn't defensive at all. I found his
response to be very sincere. I still have some
lingering doubts about whether Darbo has it in him to
go after people close to him if he has to, but other
than that, I'm quite comfortable with him. But then
after all these years of Yaya and the attendant trauma
he has caused (hire, fire, arrest here, torture there,
murder here, rape there, etc,) maybe what we need is
another really cool headed leader, who stands and look
at things before jumping. It can't hurt that the man
is a good lawyer.

Mr. Darbo's narration of the case against former UDP
MP Almamy Touray is very encouraging. Though the party
had some evidence for a few years that Almamy isn't
what he claims, they didn't just act and remove him
pronto. They confronted him with the facts twice, he
denied it. They gave him the benefit of the doubt,
while their Intelligence people worked diligently to
lay hands on incontrovertible evidence. It took some
time. With that in hand, they acted against the MP,
and kicked him out of the party. With this type of
mentality, we'll NEVER have the Dumo Saho, Lalo
Jaiteh, etc situation, because these people have
committed themselves NOT to victimize anyone unless
they have SOLID evidence against one. I find that very
re-assuring. If they behave like that as a govt.,
we'll all have a lot more freedom as Gambians. This
was just one issue they clarified adequately. I was
really impressed.

Thanks.

Saul.