GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:28:41 EDT
Since I joined the list, I have read your postings with interest and admired
some of your invaluable contributions. I don't think anyone on the list or
who follows your activities vis-a-vis the Gambian community doubt your
sincerity in wanting to bring about change in The Gambia in a peaceful and
democratic way. I commend your efforts with Senator Feingold. Having said
that, I wish to lodge my disagreement with some of the methods you advance
for getting rid of Yaya. In particular, I take issue with your denunciation
of Colley and Jatta for advocating that Yaya should be removed by all means
necessary. To further your argument, you tried to make a distinction between
the use of force and the treat of force in Yaya's overthrow of Jawara. I
think that was just semantics. The truth of the matter is, Yaya used
unconstitutional means to overthrow a democratically elected government at a
time when Gambians had a better opportunity to get rid of the government
through a free and fair election. Am sure some people will take issue with
my last assertion. So I want to save their time by just stating a few facts
here. At a later date, I can debate anyone who want to convince me that we
couldn't have removed Jawara through elections. Wade's recent elections
victory in Senegal shows that the benefits of incumbency are surmountable by
effective opposition persevering over the years. Secondly, I have seen top
PPP candidates lose elections in The Gambia. Moreover, the PPP candidates
would petition the courts to overturn elections of opposition candidates and
still lose those petitions. That's all I would say here and would challenge
anyone who want to tell me that elections were not free and fair in Gambia
before Yaya. Right after Yaya took over, I was in The Gambia and watched in
amazement as PhDs in The U.S. blinded by their hatred for Jawara jumped on
the Yaya bandwagon and condoned the changes. Don't get me wrong. I don't
like the Jawara regime either and was saddened by the fact that cronies like
Saihou Sabally begged him to return to politics after he decided to retire.
In my humble opinion, this was the beginning of the end of peace and
tranquillity in our beloved country. Going back to the issue at hand, I know
it is unfortunate to have to resort to advocating the use of force in order
to remove Yaya. I share your sentiments here which is why I consistently
opposed the Yaya regime from the first day they took over the country. But
apart from the fact that Yaya has to be taught a lesson, now more than ever,
it is virtually impossible to get rid of Yaya through constitutional means.
Look at Sierra Leone for instance. Giving Mada Biyo a big pension and asylum
in the United States did not do much, if anything for the Sierra Leoneans.
What you had, was another gang taking over the government and demanding to
be given scholarships to go abroad and study. That's the mentality of these
people. They are prepared to do anything if they know they can get away with
it. Laws of nature teaches us that with patience and perseverance,
everything comes to an end. I have no doubt in my mind that Yaya will meet a
brutal end in The Gambia. But believe me ….if he knows that he can kill and
torture people and steal money from the country and retire to Kanilai
without punishment, he will continue the murder spree. People like Colly and
Jatta are needed in order to keep Yaya a little honest. They give him
sleepless nights which our rhetoric and emails and petitions cannot do in a
million years. So I say …..don't condemn Colly and Jatta or people who
espouse their views. And lastly, what Yaya did on July 22, 1994 should be
condemned in no uncertain terns. No academic justification should be sought
for it. Let's call a spade a spade. Taking over the government the way he
did was wrong. The only reason people weren't killed was because the
Americans evacuated Jawara to their military vessel and he agreed to go
without trying to fight back. It was not because Yaya and his gang were
peace lovers or deserve credit for the lack of bloodshed. Again, I hold no
brief for the Jawara regime. But I think people like Colly and Jatta should
not be condemned for advocating the removal of Yaya by all means necessary.