GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 07:43:01 PST
Jabou Joh,

Always great to hear from you. Actually, I was away and, to be candid, that
was why you did not hear from me for quite a while. Believe me, my long
silence had nothing to do with the Ramadan (laugh). I can even fast the
whole year.

Anyway, I hope the Camaras, the Tourays, the Drammehs, the Johs would
forgive me for saying this, but I have to admit in the open that I am glad
the Ramadan is now over, so that I can start enjoying my food once again
(laugh). Ndey Jobarteh also told me that she was more than happy now that
the Ramadan is OVER.

Dr Saine: Ndey Jobarteh has sent me the position paper you wrote on behalf
of Gambia L, but I am yet to read it. I just glanced it. Hopefully, I can
give you my views on it if I have finished reading it.

By the way, brother Saine, I sent a copy of it to Robin White and Elizabeth
Ohene of the BBC African Service, and requested them to interview you on the
content of the paper. I didn't have your house phone number, but I did give
them your University phone number, so that they can contact you and arrange
an interview.

I am sure they would contact you on the number I gave them, but because of
the weekend, they may not get hold of you. But I must also add that you DO
NOT have to give the BBC an interview if the time is not appropriate.

Also, last night, I spoke to Baffour Ankomah, the editor-in-chief of the
respected London based New African Magazine, and he said he could publish
your paper in the magazine if I send it to him. So I promised to send it to
him by tomorrow.

Baffour reiterated how his Gambian readers are significant to him and the
magazine, and, in fact, he asked me to recommend someone in the Gambia who
can be their correspondent in Banjul. He says he intends to give the Gambia
more coverage in the new year. So wacth out for New African Magazine!!

Football fans: Are you enjoying the world club championship in Brazil? I am
sure you are. Here in England, the BBC rating went far up, because a record
11 million people in Britain watched the opening matches via BBC TV.

And, of course, the David Beckham sending off is the big story here in all
the Sports papers. Anyway, David Beckham is never out of the limelight since
he got married to Victoria Adams of the Spice Girls.

Having said that I must admit that Bechkam is a talent, but he is quick
tempered and his fellow footballers now know this weakness in him. So they
always provoke him so that he can overreact and, as such, get sent off. And
yes, yes, yes, the African cup of Nations is also fast approaching. Watch
out for Africa's enormous talents in action!!

Ebrima Ceesay,
Birmingham, UK.