GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 14:09:20 GMT
Hamjatta,

This is a good summary of our situation. The part about Halifa claiming
credit for averting a Siera-Leone/Rwanda type of situation only makes me
laugh. Why? Only feeble-minded people can fall for puff like that. It's
exactly the type of excuse that the PPP used to campaign (especially in the
country-side) in the olden days: Don't you hear about the wars going on all
over Africa? Look at the peace we have in the Gambia. Can you imagine what
would happen if Jawara were to leave? You should thank Allah that we have
someone so committed to peace etc, etc.

And as you've rightly pointed out, Halifa has never produced an iota of
evidence to buttress his claim that the Gambia was anywhere near a
Siera-Leone or Rwanda. So, the only reason for such claims is to raise his
stock among the feeble-minded, who swallow such stories w/o analyzing the
situation. What was going on in the country was that, the ruling military
junta was bent on perpetuating itself at all costs, and the population was
getting fed-up with being mal-treated etc. But at no point has there been a
concerted effort on the civilian side to challenge the junta tit-for-tat.
Unless Halifa means to say that he has averted a coup attempt/war between
factions in the army. Otherwise, the whole claim is another hollow victory
being claimed by PDOIS. I never took the claim seriously any way. You're
right on the money about the deviation tactics as well. Any one with sound
mind can see through it.

I'll await your reply to his piece on Korro etc.

Good day!

Saul.