GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:33:51 CET
Koto,

Thanks for forwarding this. Just the other day I was on the phone with a
friend and we joked about how Jammeh and his likes must be having a field
day about what's going on in Florida; how he was most likely to shout at his
next rally: "This is what I have been telling you all the time, there is no
democracy in this world!"

Even though I am not a fan of the US because of among other things, their
horrible past (and present)and foreign policy, the fact still remains that
we humans must continue to strive for the most ideal way of governing
ourselves and that we cannot in all fairness indict "democracy", by which
the majority of us mean the ballot system, just because flaws have been
found in its American derivative. Whether we like it or not, it is the most
efficient way of choosing who will represent us at all levels of government.

So, I think that the least we can do is to try to find ways and means of
improving the system with the understanding that the Americans are not the
founders of the system but are just themselves trying implement it to the
best of their collective advantage. So flaws in the American system of
voting does not necessarily translate into failure of the electoral system.

The Scandinavian system of voting and government, for example, are to my
opinion, among the most ideal in the world: constitutional monarchs with
only ceremonial powers for the monarchy. How about African constitutions
that provide for a ceremonial president and a very stong parliament? Just
some thought.

Regards,

Kabir.