GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoul Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:48:46 +0000
Culled From The Observer

As the seventh bienmial roots home coming festival draws nearer, the
entertainment wing of Gambia’s tourism continues to add new feathers and
colours. This effort has been thrown open to patriotic and influential
Gambians who posses the opulent ideas in entertainment. Though some
clout-wheeling and internationally established Gambians, in the utmost love
for motherland, initiate extra-ordinary formular to make larger and vivid
mark. Top on this list is Sweden-based MaEbou Touray.

The proprietor cum impresario has spread his innovative thrilling attitude
to homeland. Recently, MaEbou launched into the nocturnal fun life of
Gambia’s entertainment a magnificient nightclub at the Senegambia area and
captioned it ‘Zanzibar’.

“I own Tendaba Nightclub & Restuarant in Solna, Stockholm, and I feel like
replicating that idea in my homeland,” he says. “Tendaba has made a great
success in Sweden; converging people from different countries. I intend to
make Zanzibar the nightclub to grab the same fun while you are in The
Gambia, especially Scandinavian visitors and tourists who have gotten so
used to the thrill at Tendaba.”

Zanzibar was officially opened on Friday 16th January, 2004. The opening
attracted the blessings of notable and honourable digniteries. The secretary
of state for Tourism and Culture, Momodou Sallah, performed the cutting of
the ribbon, and after his wonderful and memorable speech, the entire guests
were let loose in a dance that crept from senegambian to western.

Master of ceremony (MC) Azziz Willan exhibited his brilliant skills while
Gambia’s pioneer disc jockey, DJ Focks, was in the sound box playing the
right tune at the right time. Kora meastro Jaliba Kuyateh gave a play-back
performance to cap the night.

From the opening, its obvious that Zanzibar Nightclub & Resturant has come
to lead the way. Gambian dwellers, visitors, tourists and Diaspora
home-coming brothers and sisters are billed for a continuous swell fun.

Stockholm based Tendaba Nightclub has the foremost African inclination in
its name, Zanzibar has the same credit.

“Tendaba is a place in Gambia,” MaEbou reveals. “I took the name to portray
African feeling in faraway Scandinavia. And Zanzibar is a river in Tanzania.
I just feel like revealing excellent names of places and things in Africa
through my establishments.”

MaEbou Touray, who is Africa’s ambassador in Solna stocklolm, came to Sweden
in 1979. Through the time he built an excellent reputation and became one of
Africa’s mouthpiece in Sweden.

As a promoter, MaEbou has toured all parts of Europe with large names of
Senegambian music screne.
“I have been an impressario for a long time. I have Senegambia music and
artists at heart and that’s why I’ve tried as much to expose the talents
before Euporean audience. I’ve toured with Alieu Mbye Nder, Thione Seck,
Jaliba Kuyateh and more.

With the reputation and connections of MaEbou Touray, Zanzibar will be
hosting international acts. Ranging from African stars to American and
Jamaican big names the proposed indoor concerts will drag along
exclusiveness.

Zanzibar’s manager Karen Fofana has more of gratitude to pour out. “I’ll
thank the SoS for Tourism and Culture, other dignitaries and the entire
guests at the opening, and my staff for putting things in place within a
short period of time,” she said.

“I promise that Zanzibar Nightclub & Resturant will be unique and distinct
in all areas of it’s operation.”

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software — optimizes dial-up to the max!